First test ever

Blessedwithfivekids

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
Northern Connecticut
Pool guy just finished pool and we got water on the fourth. By the sixth the filter was running but the swcg was just hooked up on the eleventh and he added salt. Kids have been swimming lots and PG os busy so he hasn't tauht me anything about the pool. I leave the filter on 24/7. I get my pool lesson Monday. My tfp test kit came yesterday so I decided to give it a try. Kids say the water hurts their eyes

I did the following test then stopped, should I do any other ones?
Ph. 7.8
Fc. O
Cc. O
Sodium chloride. 3000

Any advice?

The pool is about 16,000 gal in ground liner pool

Sandy

Get some chlorine in there as soon as it gets dark out, add 2 ppm of chlorine.

Meanwhile, it is time to add some CYA (I assume you haven't done that yet). Aim for 30 or 40 to start, give it a week, retest, and then adjust from there if needed.

It would be good to test the TA.

Blessedwithfivekids said:
The pool guy dropped in lots of stuff on thursday when he hooked up the SWG so I think he put in cya. My ta was 60. I'm going to run down to ocean state and pick up some shock if you think that would be a good idea. How much (gal) do you think I should put in?
Pool Calculator is your new best friend, here. Bookmark it. It will do the math for you. Figure 1/2 gallon of 6% bleach, or a quart of 12.5% pool chlorine.

Pool guy came again to work on the patio so I haven't been doing the water thingy. Here are my second test results

Fc 1
Cc .5

Tc 1.5

TA 80
CYA 30 or below
Ph 8.2
Salt 3240

I'm thinking I need to get CYA up. That is the sock thingy right?
Any advice? I'm not too good at testing and the kids were helping so if something looks really off let me know. Kids say the water tastes really salty. Pool is clear. Patio is done!

Thanks again for all the help!

Sandy

So is the SWG running and maintaining the FC you listed? Seems a bit low but might be OK for the low CYA with a SWG ...I would want it up a little more.

You are correct that you need to get the CYA up closer to 70ppm for the SWG to do the best job.

But, first you need to get the pH down in the 7s ... high pH will be irritating. Also the SWG will continue to raise the pH so you have to keep an eye on it ... testing every couple days at least.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.