Underwater repair

brasilmom

Jul 23, 2011
Brookfield, WI
Greetings,

I just noticed that my pool is loosing a lot of water lately and got to do a little inspection. I found that there is a tear on the liner and now I need to repair it. So, I have some scraps pieces of the liner but I am not sure as to which type of adhesive to use. Also, I do not know anything about doing such type of repair. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Be well and happy summer

Miriam

They sell underwater repair kits. Hardest part is staying under water long enough to place it. Goggles and letting all the air out of your lungs helps to stay under. The hole I had was small enough that I could easily double up the patch. One small patch then a bigger one on top. How big is the tear?

Thanks Mike. I will call my local pool store and hopefully they will have some. My husband will be the diver I guess. If not, I will do my best. The tear is about 2 - 3 inches long. It must have happened this past week, as I noticed the water levels going down too much too fast. I better get on it before it is too late.

Be well
Miriam

Tag teaming is best if you don't have scuba gear and someone that knows how to use it. Most of these patches have to be held in place for a minute or two at least. This should be doable, the largest hole I ever patched was about the size of a persons index finger. As already mentioned a diving weight or two to hang onto and keep you on the bottom will help holding the patch in place. Really anything heavy will work, small exercise dumbbell, etc.

Thank you all for the help. I was able to patch the tear yesterday. Since it was in a location where my foot could reach. I put the patch in place, smoothed it out, then held it with my toes. I tested after a few hours to see if there was still a leak and it pass the test. I will test it again today, just for extra insurance.
Be well
Miriam

Just for insurance, I would suggest putting a larger patch (at least one inch in all directions) over the first patch. As you've found out, it's not very difficult. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.