18' AG LINER REPLACEMENT?

May 2, 2008
Southeastern Ma.
Just joined here. Looking for some help/suggestions.
Found this site while searching around the PoolFurum.com (I guess you can't join over there anymore.)

I've got an 18' round AG (About 16 years old) in Ma.
Over the winter something let go and all water dissappeared! (Not sure where it all went because ground never looked flooded?)
Luckily I had noticed the water level went down and let cover loose before the snow/ice pulled the walls in!

Now I'm looking to replace liner.
It is an overlap liner with the center +/- 12" deeper than the edges.
Looking for suggestions on where to buy, what type, install tips?

From my reading so far, I'm guessing -
Need to wait for 70/80 deg. days to get here before install?
Going with another overlap liner with a design and new coping beads.
Probably don't need to go with extra expense of expandable liner. Std will stretch? (I don't believe original was a expandable.)
Ramp sand up around perimeter. (I think I read that a strip of vapor barrier between wall and floor is a good idea before doing this?)

Any help will be much appreciated!
Thanks! :cheers:

You have been paying attention I see!! There are many places to purchase liners, I would say shop around for a merchant you are comfortable with and a good price - try to go for a thicker mil/gauge liner if possible. A lot of people with round AG pools dish them out and go deeper in the center - some without the expandable liners (just have more material in the center than a regular is all) -

Really 70s works best but the key is SUNNY for installation, because it really needs that direct sun on the liner to relax the vinyl and allow it to stretch in. So some people have successfully installed liners just fine in the 60s with a nice sunny day.

Dennis used to be our "go to guy" on liner installs but his is MIA, so using his methods we can say that he recommends getting all the surface underneath smooth, then unfold the liner on top and stretched (not tightly) across the pool evenly. Then add water to the center of the liner, allowing it to be worked down into the pool as it adds. You would need to have some assistance with this but he seemed to always get a flawless install this way. He has done so many installs - I totally trust anything he says. You may want to do a search for HRDennis so you can find his posts with the exact instructions - they are always spot on. In addition, he had posted his preferred liner merchants too so there is a good tip for finding a deal along with quality.

The vapour barrier is a very good insurance policy to help prevent the cove from washing out. We went 12" up the wall and 12" out onto the floor - then built the cove on top of that.

Good luck!!!

The true variable depth liners (where the center is deeper) are made by Hoffinger Industries. They own Lomart and Doughboy so any of their dealers should be able to get one of their liners for you. They are very good quality US-made liners.

- Josh

NWMNMom said:
You may want to do a search for HRDennis so you can find his posts with the exact instructions - they are always spot on. In addition, he had posted his preferred liner merchants too so there is a good tip for finding a deal along with quality.

Thanks for the info!
Gave the search a try but nothing seemed to come up?
(Also didn't notice that name under the "member list")
Any links you could give, would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

WHile searching around on this and other pool sites, I found some good threads by Dennis & Matt4x4 (and also Dennis' website)!

Looks like my biggest problem will be my deck surrounding all but about 6' of the pool's diameter.
(I did leave a space between the top rail and bottom of deck, so I have my fingers crossed that it was enough to disassemble the top rail.) But, I think this will prevent me from using Dennis' wrinkle-free install.
Looks like I'll probably need to work from inside out.

I'm looking at InTheSwim's liner: 18' round - 25 gauge - Boulder/Swirl for about $265
Just keeping my fingers crossed that this will be good quality!
I'll probbably add a new skimmer/return at the same time.

I want it to warm-up a little more (Maybe early June?) and then get this over with. Hope this all goes well!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.