pool construction safety procedures - any?

Aquatica

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2010
Nassau, Bahamas
I'm kind of new to new pool building and was subcontracted to install plumbing and equipment for a builder.

I have done some construction work before and know there are certain safety guidelines to follow. I realize now I should have been wearing boots, jeans and a hard hat.

The other day I was on site checking our work and ran into a steel stake in the ground. Tore my shin open and had to have 8 stitches.

I've done some research and see some people using caps/covers on the ground stakes to prevent this.

When we build we block up, lay the steel and gunite but this procedure was new to me.

Please see pic below.

Btw I don't plan on working for this builder again. The build is taking way too long and he does not follow any safe practices.

If you have any safety suggestions it would be much appreciated. Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 167
I agree with you! If not for the safety of the workers.....Then for the home owners family!! I believe if your check the OSHA book(1926) you will find out that they should have caps or I've seen them install wooden box/2x4 troughs on the top). This is my opinion though check the standards out for yourself in the book to see if they apply.

ChrisNC said:
I agree with you! If not for the safety of the workers.....Then for the home owners family!! I believe if your check the OSHA book(1926) you will find out that they should have caps or I've seen them install wooden box/2x4 troughs on the top). This is my opinion though check the standards out for yourself in the book to see if they apply.

Thanks for that info. I'll check that book out. Much appreciated. :goodjob:

btw this is a club pool in a new gated community. no one is living there yet but very good point about the homeowners. suppose this builder does a residential pool! just one more reason to stay clear of him.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.