3 year old liner has an issue

May 15, 2009
We have had our pool for 3 years...vinyl in ground. About a month ago I was cleaning the liner above the water line as I swam around, using a mr clean magic erase. I was not being overly aggressive and was just getting pollen and what looked like scum buildup off.

Then I noticed the actual graphic was coming off in a line about 4" above the water line and about 1.25" wide. I stopped rubbing immediately and tried to figure out what was going on. It is now 4 weeks later and it seems to be getting worse but it looks like a pinstripe running horizontally above the water.

I called my pool company and he said he has heard of this before and it is warrantied.

Here's the thing though...he said that they figure out how long I have had the liner and deduct the usage over the 10 year warranty or whatever it is. I then said what about install, and he says I have to pay for that. OK I can understand that, but \i dont want to put that kind of money out just yet after 3 years so wondered if I should get the new liner and pay the difference and then just keep it in the basement for a few more years before actually having it changed over

your thoughts on what might be causing this and if \i should pay anything at all?

Not sure how the vinyl would do with years of storage...

Personally, I don't care for the prorated warranties. My experience with them and solar covers makes me feel as though they are really just a scam.

I would think it is the magic eraser taking off the graphics..........I love using them, but have noticed that you have to be careful, as I have seen color taken off of things I have cleaned.

DeeMac said:
I would think it is the magic eraser taking off the graphics..........I love using them, but have noticed that you have to be careful, as I have seen color taken off of things I have cleaned.

I originally thought it was the eraser but why would the line be only 1.25" and not effect below or above that area....now this line \i speak of is now about 6 feet wide and in several other areas of the pool....just strange

Just a comment - I bought my in ground pool used after the liner had been in storage for 5 years. I think it was outside for part of it because there were leaves inside the folds and one bad fold that I had to patch part of.

However, the liner went in easy and is OK after 1 year. Who knows how long it will last though..

The liner manufacturer was unsure if it would be a problem, and said it might shrink, but it was not an issue for me.

We had the exact same issue with our liner after 3 years. My pool builder told me it was defective and replaced the liner at no charge. Mine was covered 100% for the first 5 years and then the prorated warranty would be applied. The only thing I was out......28K gallons of water, 800 lbs of salt, etc., but no labor or charge for the 'use' of the liner.

My pool builder said it was the particular pattern that we had chosen and the delamination of the color was what had happened to a couple others that he had installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.