Stone Coping vs. Concrete Coping

Jul 7, 2012
Anyone have a preference? We have narrowed our pool builders down to 2. One does concrete coping and one does stone coping with grout.

I THINK I prefer the look of concrete, but the stone guy says they are prone to feather cracks (whatever that is...).

Other than what elwood58 said, it really depends on what kind of a look you are going for and what your budget is. There are many kinds of stone, and many ways to treat concrete, for a wide variety of looks and textures. Which one is best for you really depends on your opinions of how they look and what the builders are charging for them.

Concrete always cracks a little tiny bit. That bothers some people, but most people don't notice it.

I've seen beautiful concrete coping and I've seen ugly concrete coping. Concrete does have a habit of shrinkage cracks.
In my area it's hard to find anyone that does concrete coping anymore.

Stone is generally harder than concrete and gives that natural look.

Both work well. The choice can depend on if you're going for the natural look or a formal look.

I have travertine coping and an SWG and I have no issues with any salt related degradation after 2 years so far. I also have PA Bluestone as coping on my hot tub and have no issues with any salt related degradation after 2 years so far with that also, so it really depends on what kind of stone you use if you have a salt-water pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.