How to tell when SWG is not making chlorine

Hurricane Gio

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2010
Coral Gables, FL
The insect light on my Aqua-rite system cam on wednesday. I did not have to time to check the cell until today. Its clean, but my FC was down to 2. yes, I had to drain the pool 2-3" from all the rain and I now have a seat of algae again. I will check my CYA on sat and I up my borates today as well.

but with the pump running, I don't see the tiny bubbles going form the jets. I saw them on Wed or Thurs. I just dumped some leach in to get the FC up ASAP.

So how do I know if the cell is dead? Its just over 3 years old.

It is unlikely that your cell has failed, though I suppose it is possible. Often the inspect light means calcium scaling in the cell. Do a visual inspection of the cell plates and check for white crusty stuff.

check your stabilizer and salt level. Make sure CYA is 60-80 and salt over 2,700

I love the compuPool see through replacement cells for the T15's You can see the chlorine being produced.

To find out if the system is producing chlorine run the unit at 100% and when it clicks in it should be generating chlorine. Go by the jet closest to the pump and collect a water sample. The sample should show a higher FC than in the rest of the pool. If this is the case you know the system is generating chlorine. But I still prefer the see through cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.