Best sealant for pvc pipe threads

skirt

Apr 26, 2008
What's the best sealant to use for pipe threads that are doing to be inground (ie. skimmers/return fittings to pvc pipe). Is teflon tape or pipe dope better. What brands?? Does everyone use the blue glue for pipe to pipe fittings?

I've had better luck with the dope, but make sure what you get is labeled for plastic pipe. Otherwise it can crack the fitting when you tighten it.

Not sure I've ever seen blue PVC solvent. Some primer is purple, and CPVC solvent is a gold-orange,but all the PVC solvent I've seen is clear.

I like to use teflon for pipe 1.25" or smaller and pipe dope for anything larger. Pipe dope is almost mandatory for 2" and above.

I use just the standard, clear PVC glue with good success.

The blue PVC glue is the medium weight wet/dry glue that is required by code in many loacalities. Even when that is used it is important to also use both cleaner AND primer if you want a good solvent AND mechanical bond.

I prefer pipe dope but teflon tape is also commonly used.

Is the blue glue you're referring to the "red hot blue glue?" I have used this for years and love it. Primer is not used with it unless it is required by code. Main problem with this stuff is it sets up very fast so you have to be quick when you use it.

Check with your local pool store, there is what looks like a large
white crayon that is used to coat the threads. This is the only stuff
that will prevent leaks(it is used by most service personel). Sometimes
hardware stores have this product, it comes under various brands.

From experience, don't use teflon tape as it doesn't seal very well.

Cliff s

Necro post for others who want to know

Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue is great stuff, and does NOT need primer up to 6" pipe!
Yeah I know necroposting, but it may be helpful to others who want to know.

Ripped straight from the Christy's website:
"It is designed to be used on all schedules and classes of PVC pipe through 6", schedule 80 through 4". Red Hot is ideal for both quick pressurization and demanding conditions. Red Hot is our
best solvent for all PVC applications through 6", including wet or cold condition applications.

Red Hot does not require the use of a purple primer, unless specified by local code."

I've used this when its snowing and for years with sprinkler pipes which carry much higher pressures than our pool pipes do.
With the 2" or larger pipes I will still use primer, most folks don't know that the primer should still be wet when the glue is applied. READ the instructions guys!
RHB sets fast, so do your test fitting first. If you have corners (90s or 45s) mark them with a sharpie in the preferred angles before you open the glue can. ;)

On the subject of Teflon tape vs. pipe dope, I have found that pipe dope is messy and gets on everything I don't want it on. Teflon tape must have AT LEAST 3 layers of wrap to seal the threads. This comes from personal experience and from talking with professional residential plumbers. I'm a General Contractor who does everything myself for my clients. No return calls to fix an unknown problem that somebody else created by being lazy or taking short-cuts.

Ron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.