CYA Help!!!

Aug 1, 2011
I tested my cya and it is at 30. I would like to raise it to either 50 or 60. using the pool calculator it tells you for 50 add either 80 0z by weight or 83 oz by volume and for 60 either 120 oz by weight or 125 oz by volume.. I have a 30000 gallon pool. A few questions. I bought a 4 lb container from walmart of stabilizer conditioner. ingredients were 96 % cya 4 % other. So I guess thats good. First am I to take it that that whole container would be considered 64 oz by volume. I am getting confused by the (by weight or by volume) and I was told to only add it 1 to 2 pounds at a time and run filter 6 hours before adding another 1 to 2 pounds then 6 hours and then add another 1 - 2 pounds. Is this correct. The HTH rep said it is slow dissolving. ALso after adding it how long do the kids have to wait to swim in the pool safely. Next After the full amount is added, is it correct that i should wait a full week before tested the cya level again to make sure it has all dissolved. I run my filter about 7 hours a day. where my numbers work well with that amount of time. my cl is at 1-2 and my ph is 7.6 my ta is 70 my ch is 130 and my salt, is up to 2700, i need to add another 80 pounds to bring it up to about 3000. Please let me know thanlks

Do you have a salt water chlorine generator? Just wondering since you indicated you would like to raise it to 50 or 60 (when 50 is normally the recommended level unless you have a swcg).

The most common method here is to put the stabilizer in an old sock in front of one of your returns or in the skimmer basket as indicated here in poolschool http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals.

With something like CYA that you can't remove without replacing water or having reverse osmosis, it is good advice to add half, test in a week and then see if you need the remaining amount.

Sorry, didn't answer your other questions...

If you bought a 4lb container than it weighs 64 oz, that is just math there is no way around that that I can think of. What it's volume is? according to the pool calculator, slightly higher... but seriously, don't sweat it. I wouldn't sweat the 4% either.

Kids can swim if you use the sock method and have the pump running while they are in. I would probably instruct them to not mess with the sock.

If you do have a SWCG then you should be trying to maintain a FC minimum of 2, target of 4. If you don't have a SWCG, then you should be more like 2 to 6.

CYA of 60ppm for SWG means minimum 3ppm, so if the OP uses 2ppm as a minimum after raising CYA (either with, or without SWG) there's going to be some problems eventually...

Minimum is also 3ppm at 70ppm CYA. Regardless, 2ppm won't be high enough once it's raised.

The pool is likely going to lose 2-4ppm on average per day with 4ppm prevailing most days if it's sunny. So to remain above 3ppm, the SWG has to put in at least 4ppm once a day. Running at 70ppm with a SWG should, by all accounts function the same as running at 30-40ppm CYA without a SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.