Need help picking a pump and filter!

Hayworth pro Series sand filter system..Combo with Sand Filter&Pump.this system are design'd for aboveground pool'sYou can get this off the internet.Alot of people on here will say to get a 2 speed pump for energy saving's.I have one that is about 8-9 yrs old.Have had very good luck with it..The smallest one prob be all you need..S-160.I believe.the price it very reasonable.You can find one for under $300-400 complete except the sand.

I would recommend a Hayward sand or DE filter as well. An S160 will hold 100lbs of sand, an S180 will hold 150lbs. Either one is ok. As for DE an EC40 would be most appropriate for that size. I'm not a fan of cartridge, save yourself a headache and avoid one. A 1 horsepower pump is more than sufficient for that size pool. As Kplaster said, a 2-speed is a nice option to save on energy costs if you can get one. They are generally something like a 3/4HP for circulation and a 1 1/2HP for vacuuming combination.

As far as filters go, sand is very cheap and easy to maintain. The sand gets replaced maybe every 5 years. You may find if your pool clouds or is messy at the beginning of the season you will need to help a sand filter out with a clarifier or flocculant. A DE filter will filter much finer size dirt but is generally more expensive to purchase and whenever you backwash you need to replace the lost DE. A DE filter is also a pain to manage when cleaning up a messy pool(it clogs up very quickly due to its high filtering ability).

My personal recommendation is an S180 with a 1HP pump. Hayward's Matrix and Powerflo are the same motor so either one is fine. Hope that helped.

Welcome to tfp, jna2867 :wave:

For filters, here our recommended minimums for your 10000 gallon pool:

Sand filter: 1.9 sq.ft.
Cartridge filter: 148 sq. ft.
DE filter:28 sq. ft. (though some would say 14 sq. ft. would be enough)

For a pump I highly recommend a 2-speed 3/4 to 1 hp pump such as the Hayward matrix 1 hp 2-speed, or the Pentair Dynamo 3/4 or 1 hp 2-speed.

I have essentially the same pool and you can see what I have in my signature. I would buy it again.

If I could get a two speed motor, that would be a good addition. My pump really moves the water. It was the demo pool at the dealer and they have the same setup in front this store every single year. It works great for me.

Both Sharkline and Aqualeader are owned by Wilbar...not that makes a difference to pump and filter.

Main thing to remember with aboveground.Unless you build a cover or a little building to keep it out of the weather.It's best to take apart&store for the winter..I take my pump&strainer&dry out & store under the house in the dry..I have a plastic trash can I put over the filter itself..A little hard to manage.But,like I said I've had mine for about 8-9yrs.& still going strong.Had to replace the shaft seal a couple yrs ago.But other than replacing hoses been a very reliable system.I have the 1 horse single speed motor on a timer&keep's it clean..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.