CYA test results, still 0 ?

JC45

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2008
Austin, TX
Forgive me if this is a silly question, I've been languishing in Baquahell for 3 yrs and am new to the chlorine numbers.

Yesterday morning I started de-gunking my pool per Jasons sticky on algea removal, I put 2 lbs of CYA in a sock in the skimmer, this morning I tried to do the CYA test and the water remained clear after I added the CYA reagent, I filled up the tube and could still see the dot. Does this mean there's no CYA in the pool? Or did I just mess up the test?
The sock from yesterday was 3/4ths gone this morning so I put more in.
My info
I have a 12'X28' AG Doughboy, a little over 7900 gal. Haywood pump and sand filter
FC-still high this a.m., it stayed a med orange color overnight.
pH- 7.2
Total Alk- 130
CYA-?

I'm ordering a "real" test kit today.

The water is still milky but is BLUE now :-D :-D

It can take up to a week for CYA to get into the water. It's no big deal, but you don't really need to be in a hurry to get CYA in the water while you are converting, because it tends to slow the chlorine down a little, and you are already adding chlorine so often that the sunlight loss isn't an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.