hypothetical question.

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
what would happen if i added 2200 lbs of baking soda to my pool? then used the reverse to get the chemistry rite again. miratic acid and borax to get the numbers back in range.

hypothetically say you did these at the same time keeping things balanced.

would you have excess of other by products in the baking soda? miratic acid? borax?

Is the 2200 lbs a typo? Your TA would get unpredictably low, and your pH would get very very high. Adding Borax would make pH even higher. It would require a dangerous quantity of MA to take everything back the other direction.

Please reply with a full set of test results, and a quick idea of your end goal. Do not put 2200 lbs of Baking Soda in your pool.

You wouldn't need the Borax. You'd just use acid and aeration to lower the TA back down. What you would end up with is sodium chloride salt -- the sodium from the baking soda and the chloride from the Muriatic (hydrochloric) acid while all the carbonates would be outgassed as carbon dioxide. 2200 pounds of baking soda in 15,000 gallons then later adjusted to remove the 10,470 ppm TA would result in 58.44/84.007*2200 = 1530 pounds of salt which is 12226 ppm salt.

elwood58 said:
Is the 2200 lbs a typo? Your TA would get unpredictably low, and your pH would get very very high. Adding Borax would make pH even higher. It would require a dangerous quantity of MA to take everything back the other direction.

Please reply with a full set of test results, and a quick idea of your end goal. Do not put 2200 lbs of Baking Soda in your pool.

No, the TA would get high!!!! Very high, as baking soda raises TA.

I also think it would take years to accomplish acceptable levels through aeration to remediate the created problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.