How many pumps?

BMT13C

Jul 13, 2012
I am looking to do something a little different in my pool. I am needing about 225gpm and I don't have a whole lot of space. I am using 3 Clean and Clear 200 sq. ft. cartridge filters. My question is, do I need 3 different pumps or can I run them all inline with one big pump. My first instinct is that I need one pump per filter rated at 75gpm but I wanted to make sure. It just doesn't seem that if I had one pump rated at 225 gpm, that it would work very well with 3 filters inline rated at only 75 gpm. Or is it possible to use one pump and have it pump to all 3 at the same time (in parallel) instead of having them all in series.

Welcome to TFP!

You never want to run the filters in series. They should either be plumbed in parallel or on independent plumbing runs.

225 GPM is a very large amount of water, beyond the capabilities of any single residential pool pump. There are commercial pumps that will move that much water but they generally require three phase power. Unless you already have high voltage three phase in the building it is going to be more cost effective to go with two or three pumps.

It also seems unlikely that you really want three separate filters. One large filter on a single pump and another plumbing loop without any filter would be significantly more efficient and easier maintenance.

Can you tell us more about what you are trying to do? It will almost certainly affect how the pump(s)/filter(s) should be setup.

The system is going to be used as a swimming pool / aquarium. Due to the load contraint, a high gpm is required. Also, I know that it will be much easier to use one filter, the size of the available filter area isn't allowing much room.

BMT13C said:
The system is going to be used as a swimming pool / aquarium. Due to the load contraint, a high gpm is required. Also, I know that it will be much easier to use one filter, the size of the available filter area isn't allowing much room.

Fish and people in the same soup? Wild idea. Doesn't the chlorine level needed for safe swimming water cause problems for the fish?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.