Safety cover for wall suction inlet?

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
Last year we had a (reputable) pool builder replace the liner in our pool. The main drain was leaking at that time, so it was removed/capped and a wall suction inlet was installed in its place.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner, but recently I got close enough to the suction with the filter on that it snagged the back of my bathing suit. Its not like it pulled me under, but it was definitely a surprise. This makes me wonder now, how SHOULD that suction inlet be handled? All of the safety covers I see seem to be geared towards main drains, so they are quite large (8" diameter at least). This is just a 1.5" suction inlet on a wall, not the floor.

I see the potential for a much bigger hazard than just getting my bathing suit snagged in it (especially with little kids in the pool). I plan on contacting the pool builder immediately, but figured Id ask here if there are any products I could use until he can make it out to discuss fixes.

Thanks.

-Chris

I too just added a wall suction line. Although I plan to never have the valves set to only user that line and always have the skimmer open, I plan to get some type of cover. I had been looking at some spa covers that appear to just screw into the 1.5" hole, but have yet to pull the trigger. Curious to see what other suggestions may come up.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

My issue with our wall suction is that its not for a vacuum, its an actual suction that needs to be open for the pump.

Its plumbed separate from the skimmer, so technically someone can become entrapped by it (although most of the regulations Ive seen exempt it because its low enough on the wall....still questionable to me though)

I got a small "grate" fitting from Hayward, it screws into any 1.5" thread wall fitting but specifically says its not for suction lines (CYA-ing on the entrapment thing, I think). For now its better than nothing but its definitely not something that can prevent entrapment altogether.

Im amazed that a reputable pool builder would leave it like this. Im guessing my pool is "grandfathered" but that's not an excuse to not make it safer IMHO, especially when he knew I have small kids.

Install the cover recommended above. However, because the pool builder replaced your questionably compliant single main drain with a main drain on the sidewall, your pool builder needs to come back and install fa separated drain with VGB Act approved sidewall covers. With the exception of a few states you can't install a drain or suction outlet in a pool that does not meet that or a similar requirement. Harleysilo above has the right cover, but you changed the pool drain system so you technically need to comply with the new law and need separated drains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.