Need help with new test results

May 17, 2012
Dunn, NC
Our pool was filled on Tuesday but has UNEXPECTEDLY had to sit without pump and filter working since then. They should hopefully be running by Saturday if not tomorrow (having to wait for our electrician). Our pool would be considered vinyl and is approximately 10600 gallons. The water still looks clear but I am starting to worry about algae so I decided to run my tests tonight to see what the numbers looked like and here are my results:

.5 FC
4 CC
4.5 TC
60 TA
70 CH
7.5 pH
?? CYA (black dot never disappeared) I know that is not good!

Is there anything I can do to help before the pump and filter can be started or do I need to just hope for the best and redo my tests after we get them started? Thanks for any advice!

Re: Need help with first test results

I'll try my 2cents. It looks like you already have a good test kit - kudos. Good start.

The pH is pretty good - it is usually the first thing you want to get right.
Next is the FC - this is what you need to kill the bad stuff. You have to keep this up at proper levels - add bleach (use The Pool Calculator to help)
The fact that you CC is 4, says that the CL you put in there did its job. You will want that at 0 eventually. But getting some FC in there will be important until the weekend.

Perhaps if you want to circulate water, you could put an old sump-pump in there, and just put the hose back into the pool. It won't clean it, but it will get the water moving.

Ok we already have a sump pump we can stick in there to help with that. On the Pool Calculator I put the target FC as 3 and it says to add 55oz. of bleach. Do you think that sounds about right? What did you mean when you said the CL you put in there did its job? I haven't added anything..??

If you didn't put any Chlorine in there, then I would say that your source fill water had chlorine in there. Somehow it go there. CC is made when FC reacts with a contaminant. I got 55oz for your pool size also, but you should check it daily and top it up as needed to keep it at the level you want.

Yea I got to thinking about it and I know our county water has chlorine in it so it was already in it. I will get some bleach in there with the sump pump going and continue checking ph and FC. Do I need to worry about CYA yet or just wait till everything is working?

We got our pump and filter turned on Friday night so Saturday I added the bleach that the Pool Calculator said to add. It also said to add CYA since that was 0. I searched at local stores and was not able to find any to purchase until Sunday.
My test results Sunday were:
pH 7.5
FC 1
CC 8
CYA 0
TA 50
CH 70

Sunday night I added 8 cups 2 oz. of bleach and placed 3 lbs. of 100% CYA in a sock in front of the return jet. These are amounts I got from the pool calculator. Tonight almost all of the CYA has dissolved and my test results were as follows:

pH 6.8
FC 0
CC 0
CYA 20
TA 50
CH 70

I put those numbers in the pool calculator and it said I needed to add 88 oz. of bleach so I did a little while ago. It also said to add more CYA but I didn't since I know that hasn't finished dissolving yet. It also says to add borax to raise pH, though I stil need to find that. Do I need to raise my FC to "shock" level since it is 0? I thought I read somewhere I need to know my CYA level and I don't know what that may end up being. Can someone just let me know if I am doing this right and if not , what I should have done? Thanks!

This pool has needed to be shocked from the moment you first posted. 4ppm CC, then 8ppm CC, and now all the chlorine is suddenly depleted? Pool is sick. Needs some medicine :~}

How much many ppm's of CYA did you calculate for? Use that value in the calculator. You can assume the amount you put in, is in there, since you put it in. Wait a few more days before running the CYA test.

It might be a good idea to raise pH to 7.0-7.2 before you begin shocking. Look for 20/20 Mule Team, in the laundry isle (borax). Then, don't bother to worry about pH while at shock level (inaccurate results). You can check it again once the chlorine comes back down. Test for TA after you raise the pH, then wait till you're done shocking to bother with more TA testing or adjusting.

Bring the pool to shock level, test hourly for loss, replace any chlorine lost, rinse and repeat. I think I'd bump the shock level up a ppm or two as well, so you don't fall below shock level. I think this pool is going to consume chlorine rapidly at first. Keep shocking along with filtering full time until you have .5ppm or less CC, lose 1ppm or less overnight (OCLT), and the water is clear. There's a chance it'll go cloudy when you shock it, that would be normal. Keep filtering and maintaining shock level.

How does the water look, or smell?

Hi frogabog. Thanks for your response. I have just been able to read your reply so I wanted to let you know where the numbers are as of the last test this morning. First, to answer your questions. I put for "now" cya 0 and for target I put in 40 since that was average of 30 and 50. Don't know if that was right? The CYA added was right at 3 lbs. but it called for 3 lbs. 9 oz. I just checked and it still has a little bit left to be dissoved. The water to me looks pretty clear now. I noticed on Friday it looked not quite as clear but it has not been cloudy the entire time since filling. This morning I redid all my tests again just to see what kind of difference adding the 88 oz. of bleach last night made. My results this morning were:

pH 6.8
FC 5.5
CC .5
CYA 30
TA 50
CH 80

The water looks clear to me. Being a first time pool owner and not seeing how it looks when all the numbers are right, I don't know if you would call it "crystal clear", but you can see the seams of the pool floor pretty easily. As far as smell, it doesn't. My husband is getting the Borax today to help pH if that is needed now. What do you think with these new numbers from this morning?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First off, I'd say that it looks like you're using the 25ml sample for the chlorine testing. You can go ahead and use 10ml, and value each drop at .5ppm. That's good enough for what we're doing here, it'll save your reagent by half this way.

You still have over 1ppm CC. That needs to be <.5ppm, so you should continue the shocking process. Raise FC back to 13ppm and test hourly, re-dose as necessary. If you can't be there to test and replace chlorine, add enough to go a few ppm above shock level (estimate what you could lose over the time you're away). It might be a good idea to raise your shock level to 15ppm, so that you never fall below 13ppm. Falling below 13ppm regularly is likely what is slowing this process (one step forward, two steps back). Every time it falls below shock level the algae has a chance to re-animate. Like zombies! Gotta double tap zombies yano...

It's interesting how perceptions of clear water vary, especially when one hasn't experienced truly crystal clear water as a result of our methods here. When the water is really clear... it looks as if there's no water in the pool. Now, that's a little on the extreme side of clear for the indicator to stop shocking, but that's what you're looking to achieve here. It's doable, and will happen suddenly if you do everything pool school (and posters) tell you to do. You will be pleasantly surprised.

My general rule of thumb on clear water criteria is that if there's any reasonable doubt that it's clear... it isn't quite yet clear.

The borax will help your pH. If you can get it added today that will be good.

I thought I had used the 10 ml Chlorine Only container but maybe not?? I just did my tests for tonight and they are:

pH 6.8
FC 2.5
CC .5 (liquid almost looked clear when added first drop, just slightly pink tint)
CYA 30
TA 50

I didn't run CH test for now. Do I need to shock the pool just because the FC got down to 0? I thought other than pH, the FC and CYA look fairly close to what they need to be. Can you be assured of algae growth if FC gets to 0?

No don't have the means to post one. Besides it's dark out. But I looked at it earlier and I still think it looks very clear. I can see the fine detail on the pool bottom. I'd say if a dime was laying down there, I could tell if it was on heads or tails. Just trying to think of something as an example.

Well frogabog, I didn't pass my OCLT test from the last post. I had a FC loss of 2.5 ppm. I started the process of shocking 5 days ago but have still have not been able to pass the OCLT test. I have met 2 of the 3 requirements of the OCLT test by having clear water and my CC level is constantly .5 or less, but every night I lose 2.5 to 3 ppm of FC. I am not home most of the day and normally test my water in the morning, midday, and then at night. I have recorded my test results and looking back I see where my FC will usually drop during the day anywhere between 13 to 15ppm and with my CYA being 40, shock level is 16. I'm assuming this small drop is enough to allow algae to continue to grow? And to be sure I'm clear on something, if I have a FC loss over night that is greater than .5ppm does that mean there is something "growing" in the water?

Short answer: Yes. Something is growing.

There are two things that consume chlorine: sunlight and organics. If you test after the sun stops hitting and again before it starts, you've ruled out sunlight. Leaving only organics as the culprit. Is there any place for algae to hide? A ladder, steps?

Yes we have a ladder. I am off tomorrow and am planning to try to get things under control. In the morning should I test first, then brush, and then add necessary bleach? And then test every hour? Is one brushing tomorrow sufficient?

sicat77 said:
Yes we have a ladder. I am off tomorrow and am planning to try to get things under control. In the morning should I test first, then brush, and then add necessary bleach? And then test every hour? Is one brushing tomorrow sufficient?
Test, dose, brush. And really look at that ladder. Could be algae lurking under the treads or inside the uprights.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.