My 1st TF-100 results ... opinions please ?

cody21

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Finally did this full test ... This is what my results were:

FC = 1.0 (I was actually taken back by this since there has been 1 Trichlor puck in the water since we took possession.)
CC = 0.0
PH = 7.8 (had been about 7.6 the last couple of days)
TA = 130.0 (high ! App says to add Acid to get PH to 7.5 - is that Muriatic Acid or something else?)
CYA = 47.0
CH = 300
TDS = not measured
Salt = not measured
Borates = not measured (didn't add any)
CSI = 0.53 (potential for scaling according to the App - what needs to be done?)

Thanks all ...

Stop using pucks and any powdered chlorine products and stick with liquid. You CYA and CH are currently in good places and any solid chlorine is going to screw it up.

What does the water look like?

Ignore the TA for now. You MUST get the FC up. The minimum for a CYA level of 50ppm is FC of 4ppm.

I would recommend:
1. Lower your pH to 7.2-7.4
2. Raise your FC up to shock level (20ppm)
3. Perform the OCLT ... this will then determine your next step. If you fail, you need to go through the shock PROCESS. If you pass (and your water is clear), you got lucky and can let the FC drift down and then keep it above 4ppm at all times.

thanks for the fast reply ..

- Water actually looks great ... very clear, not cloudy at all.

- the SimplePool APP recommended adding like 384 oz of 6% bleach .. I just added 1 full jug (182 oz) - I need to make a run to WalMart tomorrow.

OK, "raising the FC to shock level 20ppm" -- I assume at that point the pool will not be swimmable for several days to a week? and that will take many jugs of Bleach ? (ugh, we were having friends over this w/e for the first time.) Any 'easier' - less atomic - approach right now?

Side question - Muratic Acid or Cyanuric Acid ? Lowes' has the MA ... basically the same ?

thanks so much.

It is safe to swim when:
-FC > the minimum for your CYA
-FC < shock level for your CYA
-CC not > 0.5ppm
-ph is in range
-water is clear

If you raise to 20ppm tonight, by tomorrow night it will be less than that and safe to swim in (it may be down to 10-15 actually). No worries ... just easier to do the OCLT. If you fail, you could delay the shocking until after the friends leave, just keep the FC up above 10ppm or so maybe.

Muriatic acid is used to lower pH
Cyanuric acid is used to raise CYA
NOT the same thing ... back to Pool School with you :whip:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.