Coping fix... help!

G

Sadly I came to the relization that I did my pool projects backwards and am probably going to end up paying for it now, but my biggest head ache right now is the coping.

Long story short I had a guy doing concrete around my pool and after he removed the concrete some of the coping is broken.

My pool is older (so I've been told by the people I've called to get quotes so far) inground with a vinyl liner. I unfortunately just replaced the liner less than a year ago, and hope it can be saved but no one has given me the warm and fuzzy about that.

The coping around the pool is unique (Meaning old) because it is not just connected to the wall but one piece with the wall. I've been told by different companies they can't do it, it'll be costly, and they can't do it (of course none of them offer an alternative).

I have one guy who says he may be able to fix it, but being pool season I only get responses from him if I call ten times.

The questions I have:
1) Has anyone dealt with replacing coping that is one piece with the wall, how is it done? Is it as simple (used very loosely) as cutting off the coping on the top of the wall and replacing it with new, are there special pieces made for this?

2) There is no concrete right now, would it make more sense just to replace the whole wall with a more current style where they are two pieces?

3) Would it be smarter just to put in fiber glass shell and do away with the liner all together?

Any help would be appreciated, this "project" was started in late April and I really would like to get this going and done...

Thank you!

First off, pictures would help a lot.

Second, is it possible the pool builder that built it is still in business? They maybe could repair or tell you what company did the original work (if it was subbed out).

I would think if the coping was attached to the walls at the factory then your only option is to cut it with a saw suitable for cutting Steele. Someone else may be able to chime in that has dealt with it but if it is not screwed down onto the walls and it is welded the only option is to cut it. You would also want to sand it with a metal disc sander to smooth out the cuts. Shouldn't be to hard but I think it would take a very long time and be a PITA. GL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[attachment=2:9u5t6c8u]SANY0558.JPG[/attachment:9u5t6c8u]
The whole pool

[attachment=1:9u5t6c8u]SANY0561.JPG[/attachment:9u5t6c8u]
This is the back side, I tried the best I could to show how it is connected. It is all one piece.

[attachment=0:9u5t6c8u]SANY0563.JPG[/attachment:9u5t6c8u]
Supports are still buried in the dirt, no issues with them, it's just the coping.

Do they make brackets I can put around the top if I were to cut the coping off (and I say "if I" but really I mean an expert)? The pool building companies I've talked to have come up empty handed because of the one piece. Of course none of them have really given me the time to come and look at it either.

Attachments

• SANY0558.JPG
    SANY0558.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 170
  • SANY0561.JPG
    SANY0561.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 170
  • SANY0563.JPG
    SANY0563.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 170
Basically I think what you need is it cut off at the top of the wall and then it needs to be smoothed down. Then you should be able to add any kind of coping you want be it bullnose or cantilever. You just need the top of the wall exposed, even and smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.