Vacation!

Ok, so I wasn't sure if this was the approriate catagory, but I figured this is the method that I use and that is the basis of my question. I will be leaving for vacation for 10-11 days. What should I do for chlorinie addition for my pool. I currently just add the appropriate amount daily based on The Pool Calculator, from my test results that I put in, from my taylor test kit. I really don't want to put tablets in when Im gone because I already have a fairly high CYA, because of my direct sunlight exposure, sun up till sun down. 80-85 CYA. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped, and leaving soon.

Thanks

Get your chemistry as close as possible to perfect, then ask a neighbor to add ___ oz of bleach every day or every other day (based on your average regular daily consumption). If no one can add bleach for you, then you might have to suck it up and use the tablets. Otherwise you risk returning to a lovely shade of green.

Reactions: Barbest
I'm leaving tomorrow for vacation, camping in the Adirondacks. I've recruited my neighbor. I took the five gallon chlorine bottles I have and loaded up 5 1 gallon jugs of chlorine and placed a measuring cup with laminated instructions that say the following:

"Measure 42 ounces of chlorine in the measuring cup then dump it in the deep end, right over the return line. Do this every even day please. On odd days, please add 4 of the tablets I have in the chlorine bucket next to the gallon jugs.

Now for the reward, there is a case of ice cold Labatt Blue in the cellar frig, go help yourself !!!"

42 ounces raises FC by 2 so I should be fine by the time I get back. My CYA is at 28 so I am going to have him add some tablets while I'm gone so chlorine doesn't get used up as quickly.

i just returned from an eight day vacation and here is how i handled it. i checked chlorine before leaving and had a 5. i added 3 gallons of 12.5% to get chlorine to 20. i then added 4 tablets to skimmer. i had a friend stop by and add 2 gallons after 4 days. when i returned after 8 days and checked chlorine and had 4.5. pool looked perfect.

jsb13428 said:
Ok, so I wasn't sure if this was the approriate catagory, but I figured this is the method that I use and that is the basis of my question. I will be leaving for vacation for 10-11 days. What should I do for chlorinie addition for my pool. I currently just add the appropriate amount daily based on The Pool Calculator, from my test results that I put in, from my taylor test kit. I really don't want to put tablets in when Im gone because I already have a fairly high CYA, because of my direct sunlight exposure, sun up till sun down. 80-85 CYA. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped, and leaving soon.

This thread has a lot of great info on Polyquat 60 and in it they talk about options for using it for an extended vacation of two weeks. In the same thread they mention someone raising their pool to shock levels and dropping in a trichlor floater and making it work for two weeks - but I know this doesn't fit your CYA needs. One other thing suggested in the thread is that an opaque cover will slow the loss of chlorine dramatically.

Maybe Trichlor is the answer - along with a partial water change when you get back? Maybe 50ppm borates and Polyquat 60 along with an opaque cover?

It seems to me, since most of us have (or could generate/save) a few spare CL jugs. If you measured the daily amount of CL into each, that you wanted the dog-feeding, mail-collecting, newspaper-collecting neighbor to pour into the pool each day while the pump is running, you could have a low risk, high-payback system.

Reactions: cchism24
techguy said:
It seems to me, since most of us have (or could generate/save) a few spare CL jugs. If you measured the daily amount of CL into each, that you wanted the dog-feeding, mail-collecting, newspaper-collecting neighbor to pour into the pool each day while the pump is running, you could have a low risk, high-payback system.

That's a great idea. I have thought of the same thing with my father-in-law. I plan to have a Sunny Day and Cloudy Day jug size. If he runs out he can refill them back to the line I will draw on the outside.

UnderWaterVanya said:
That's a great idea. I have thought of the same thing with my father-in-law. I plan to have a Sunny Day and Cloudy Day jug size. If he runs out he can refill them back to the line I will draw on the outside.

I was thinking if you were going to need six days of "pool helper" it would be great to have six jugs. One for each day your are gone and it doesn't depend on them being careful. Just have the pump running and pour in Jug #1, #2... #6.

I guess you would need to place them or sign where they were to stand when they added it so they were in front of the return.

I know this sounds over simplified but the gal who feeds my dog when I am gone, needs this level of guidance. As sweet as she is, measuring would be overly demanding.

techguy said:
UnderWaterVanya said:

I was thinking if you were going to need six days of "pool helper" it would be great to have six jugs. One for each day your are gone and it doesn't depend on them being careful. Just have the pump running and pour in Jug #1, #2... #6.

I don't disagree at all. I was thinking more of having a sunny day / cloudy day option in case the weather was different from what I expected - and having him be able to refill if he needed more. But honestly it might be better to have two jugs for each day - and then just use them up at a later point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.