Need Help - Careless mistake

Jul 6, 2012
NJ
HI all,

Hoping someone can help me out here. My wife turned on the pump (Hayward 1.5HP 2 weeks old) while the valve between the skimmer and pump was closed. It ran this way for a while until I got home happened to go to the pump and notice. The pump then ran fine yesterday and no issues when I turned it off last night.

I know this is very very bad for the pump - any ideas what I should specifically look for? could it cause electrical issues with the pump? GFI tripping? just seize up?

Please help
Thanks
Dave

Welcome to TFP! I would think the main concern would be the motor overheating and seizing up or damage to the impellers/seals. I did something similar several years ago when I had a pool company come out and close my pool down and I had my pump on a timer. They left after closing everything down, and the timer turned my pump on for several hours. I didn't seem to hurt my pump at all. I would think as long as the pump is running now and not making any sty range noises you should be OK.....but that is just a guess. I am sure others will chime in with more concrete advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.