Rainwater filled pool and turned it brown

Jun 20, 2011
So this house we've been in for a year is now seeing the worst rain we've ever had since we moved in. I live in Magnolia, TX (77355) so you can see we're getting a LOT of rain.

We have finally landscaped the pool area, but today water from my neighbors yard is flowing down across my yard and into the pool. It looks as if water tends to flow from one back yard to another until it reaches a drainage ditch.

Right now, my pool is full to the top of the deck and rain water is flowing over the yard, across the pool, and over the other side. Will this hurt the pool in any way? Is it normal for pools to take on a lot of debris and Crud when it's flooding like this?

Thanks guys, hope everyone who is on the forums and in this area are doing okay!

-Tom

It should cause any problems other than the mess.

Your pool should have been installed so it was higher than the surrounding ground. Typically 4" is a sort of standard, meaning you'd have to have 4" of water in the yard before it would flow into the pool.

Richard is always an optimist! :p

The rain is crazy... it's still going strong. How is it out in New Caney? I lived in Conroe my whole life and I know ya'll are getting hit really hard out there, and it's also a low area.

The pool is built above one side of the yard, but my house is on a hill so building it higher than surrounding land would have been impossible, because my neighbors yard is higher than mine. My yard is higher than my neighbors to the left, and his is higher than his neighbors to the left. So when it rains we have water flow through every back yard til it gets to the street. There are depressions between each home that helps to divert it to the street, but it doesn't look like they carried it all the way to the back in my case, it's mostly for the front yard.

I am thinking I could help this problem by extending the depression between my house and my right neighbor to divert water to the street. Also, can't I add a decorative border, barrier, something around the outside edge of the pool to raise the lip maybe .25 or .5 inches above the surrounding patio? Right now, the patio just slopes directly into the pool so water on the patio wants to be in the pool.

Thanks for the discussions, you guys are great :goodjob:

None of this sounds good especially the patio draining towards the pool. Did you have this pool installed? What kind of drain doesn't go anywhere? Is it for water in the pool or the surrounding landscaping?

You really need to solve this for the long term. I would say no matter how much it rains you should never get runoff in a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
twoolley said:
I am thinking I could help this problem by extending the depression between my house and my right neighbor to divert water to the street. Also, can't I add a decorative border, barrier, something around the outside edge of the pool to raise the lip maybe .25 or .5 inches above the surrounding patio? Right now, the patio just slopes directly into the pool so water on the patio wants to be in the pool.

I'd be worried that any kind of abrubt change would pose a trip hazard. If you were able to do something more gradual it might be better. Alternately putting a wide trench drain with a slotted cover between the patio and the pool and running this off into a french drain elsewhere in the yard might be better. Something like this in the direction of the flow from the neighbors also might be a good idea or just extending the "ditch" and adding some rocks maybe to keep erosion under control.

With the solid rain here for the last week our pool has been overflowing too. My salt went from 3000 ppm to 2600 ppm because of all the rain. When it finally quits I will just have to add more salt and rebalance everything. Right now, there is nothing you can do until it quits raining. Big change from a year ago.

I agree with you, ouachita. It seems like this has to have been a problem since the pool was installed years ago.

I have already sent emails through angies list for 3 lawn drainage companies to come out and quote the job. I'll keep you all updated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.