piping in a pentair vs pump

lungs414

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2012
Eastern Long Island,New York
Is there a preferred fitting for the initial fittings on this pump? I know some web sites recommend the pentair union, buy I was wondering what else can be used. The rest of my piping is 1 1/2". If I use a 2" nipple into/out of the pump instead of the union I can put a 2" coupling on the nipple and put the 1 1/2" bushing into that and continue. Is this ok or is there a better way?
Thanks

I think it is always a good idea to put unions on the pump so that you can easily remove it if you need to work on it without having to re-plumb. There are some folks here that do not like unions. I got lucky and my new Pentair Superflo came with the union fittings to the pump.

The risk with using a screw in fitting is that you may find out after the fact that it did not seal well ... then you have no choice but to cut the plumbing out and start over if you do not have a union.

I just redid my pad and found I had a leak where one of the screw in fittings went into the filter multi valve. Luckily I had added unions there too, so just had to open the union and tighten some more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.