Algae attack!

Fid777

Apr 28, 2012
Sanger, CA
I just came home and was only gone for about a week and I have been attacked.

I am overwhelmed and do not have a whole lot of money and am afraid I have ruined my pool. It is a light green inside mostly from the walls I believe. The water itself is not so green.

Ph- 6.8
Cl- 1-2
Alkalinity- 50
Hardness- 60.

My test kit has nothing else. I really want to get at this as fast as I can I hope someone can help me out. Thank to anyone ahead of time for any and all help I get. Thank you.

Hello. You should read the article about 'How to Shock Your Pool' in Pool School (link in top right or my signature box). Then, if possible, get a better test kit. You need one that has the FAS-DPD test for chlorine..so you can accurately measure high levels of FC.

Then you need to go though the shocking process to clean your pool. I do NOT mean use the product called 'shock'...I mean follow the steps from pool school.

This process with be the cheapest, fastest, easiest way get your pool sparkling again.

Yes I have started shocking the pool as well as added the stabilizer in the sock to the skimmer. So now I just need to get in and scrub? Do I have to use the expensive scrubber or what's a good alternative. I just literally have very little money to put into this right now. I got home changed the filter skimmed the pool tested with what kit I have. Added the bleach as well as the stabilizer/conditioner. I just feel so bad for my kids. :(

Ok so drain as much as possible then scrub with bleach water and just start all over. Any suggestions on how to get the minimal water out of the pool. U know when it gets past the drain plug. Sorry I'm still so new and am so mad that I let this happen. I just emptied and refilled because of rip. ggrrrr ok thanks again all for ur help.

I don't know what the pool looks like so not sure how to recommend getting the remaining water out. If it is not much, I would not worry about it. When you refill, get some CYA in and boost your FC up to shock value to take care of anything remaining in the water. May want to do the shock process anyway to confirm everything in the hoses, filter, is dead ... but it should go very fast if 90+% of the pool is drained and cleaned.

Honestly, I am not sure what strength of bleach/water ratio you should use or what to use to scrub (I would think any nylon brush would work)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.