abg filter

Jun 23, 2012
We realize are filter is too small. Also the company that installed it made is so every pipe drips water. They will not fix it. Nor do we have any cut off valves. So my husband and I decided to buy a new larger filter and add some cut off valves. Who do we call for that? I do not want to call the company who installed the pool. The 3 pool stores around us say since they didn't install the pool they can't help us. We even called a plumber but he of course said that was a pool issue not a plumbing issue. My husband is not a Mr fix it, so installing it ourselfs may be a bit much for me. I love to build but I've never messed with pipes. We have an ABG 15x30. Right now we have sand and are having nothing but trouble from it. So what do your recomend for us, and who do I call to install it?

nothingbut trouble includes, I have to run my filter 24 hours a day to have any effect. The skimmer basket keeps getting stuck causing the filter to run dry. When this happens the filter will not pick any psi up. It will stay at 0. I t will have a slow flow with dirty water coming out. I will have to let the filter sit for seveal hours before it will run. I belive the company who put the pool together put way to much caulk around the skimmer. I tried peeling some away but I am afraid I will pull to much. I need to back wash 2-3 times a week.

Ok. Forget the plumbing issues for a minute and let's see if your fiter has a problem. If you are having to backwash that often, it's because your filter is doing its job. There may be nothing wrong with the filter. If it's building up pressure, then it's getting dirty due to stuff in your pool water. You may have algae. How does your water look. Is it clear?

Can you post pictures of the existing setup? We can help with how to do the work yourselves to add the shut offs and replace the filter. It isn't that difficult to do. You will need to plug the skimmer and return so the water doesn't leak out of the pool while you are working. What do you mean "filter basket keeps getting stuck?"

Here is the second half. I tired to show where the filter nd hoses are leaking. As well as where the skimmer is getting stuck because of too much caulk. But I could be wrong. What do you think?
Edited to add a phot of the leaky filter

I would take a safety razor blade and cut away that excess caulk. That is a poor workmanship but you know that already.

Just shut off the pump and take your time with the safety razor blade. Don't try to "scrape" the putty off with the blade but actually cut it by using lateral movement like you would with a knife.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, this was just installed last month and they won't fix the relatively small issues? That's kinda sad. You don't show a picture of your pump. When the pump goes dry the quickest way to get it to run is to release the vacuum to let the water back in. There's usually a knob that you can turn to let this happen. Some setups you would loosen the pump cover just enough to refill the basket with water. Hard to tell how yours is without a picture of it. Make sure the pump is off when you do this. You can add a bit of DE to make the sand filter better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.