My pump runs 4 hr/day. Can I use a SWG?

If you get a large enough SWG cell it should work fine. We generally recommend 1.5-3 times larger than your pool. Since your run time is short, you may want to lean toward the larger size ... like a 40k+ gallon cell.

Typically your only settings are pump run time and % setting. The % setting is the % of time the cell is actually generating. Since you have a short pump time, you will just have to use a higher % setting to get the required FC in that amount of time. Having a bigger cell means this % should not max out at the shorter run time.

jbliz beat me to the punch, but here is my take...

If needed, why can't you run your pump longer?

I love my swg, just for reference, I am running about 8 hours right now, not that means anything to your situation.

Swg's are typically rated for how much chlorine they can produce in 24 hours. Of course there are many other factors.

As jbliz said, our recommendation is typically buying a swg rated 1.5-3 times larger than your pool volume. If you want to run as short as possible maybe even as short as 4 hours, buy an oversized swg...probably one that is rated 6 times your pool volume. However, it may be better to pick a swg that is 3-4 times larger than your pool size and run it awhile longer during the day so that your FC doesn't have to go up as high to maintain your minimum FC level when the swg and pump are not running.

4 hours a day seems like a small amount of time, does that turn your water over completely in that time? As for SWG, it depends on things like CYA level, air temps and how much sun the pool gets. I have a solar cover on my pool unless someone is swimming and only get 6 hours or so of sun so I run my SWG 4 hours which works out perfectly. You may need to run more or less. I really like having the SWG unit though.
pool-school/pump_run_time

edit: Dang...you all are quick.

Thanks for the replies. My pump and filter are over sized for my pool. My pool is 15K and they came off of a 40K pool. I'd rather not run longer than I need to just to save on the cost of electricity and 4 hours works. Thanks again for the information.

Cartridge filters really can't be oversized, though yours i plenty big :goodjob:

I agree your pump is high flow for that pool, but I bet it vacuums well! If you ever decide to replace it, then I would look at a 2-speed pump.

So you will have to get an over sized swg or you will have to run quite a bit longer.

MikeInNH said:
4 hours a day seems like a small amount of time, does that turn your water over completely in that time? As for SWG, it depends on things like CYA level, air temps and how much sun the pool gets. I have a solar cover on my pool unless someone is swimming and only get 6 hours or so of sun so I run my SWG 4 hours which works out perfectly. You may need to run more or less. I really like having the SWG unit though.
pool-school/pump_run_time

edit: Dang...you all are quick.

Mike, what do you mean that your SWG is painless, except when reset?

It is a myth that a pool "needs" at least one turnover per day. Your pool may need more or less than a turnover per day. It depends on your local conditions.

In my case, I currently run my pump about 4 hours per day, 2 hours on high speed, 2 hours on low speed. That is about 1/2 turn per day and yes, that is enough to keep the pool both clean and chlorinated. High speed is for cleaning (cleaner/skimmer) and low speed is for extra chlorination. With a Goldline T-15 cell, that is just enough run time time for a 90% cell setting.

plucky71 said:
Mike, what do you mean that your SWG is painless, except when reset?
If I shut off or momentarily lose power to my cheapo Intex it loses it's settings. No battery backup. Luckily our power is steady and it is easy to see if the unit lost power. Just something to be watchful of.

mas985 said:
It is a myth that a pool "needs" at least one turnover per day. Your pool may need more or less than a turnover per day. It depends on your local conditions.
Maybe but my preference is to trust pool school. Need a baseline.

From pool school:

The actual pump run time you need depends on the relative size of your pool and your pump, which varies from pool to pool. Each pool owner needs to figure it out for themselves.

Point is the turnover per day is a guideline but it really doesn't mean that every pool needs that. In fact, according to a recent study most pools can get by with as little as 4 hours of run time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.