Using Lots of Chlorine Bleach???

Jul 7, 2011
N. Ga Mountains
Hello all, I haven't posted since last year when I began using the BBB method. I have really loved my pool since. I am still using it and the pool looks good. Here is my question...I add a gallon or 2 gallons of bleach as the pool calculator tells me but by the next day I am having to add 2 gallons again...I did not have to do this last year. I am using the TF100 test kit. Here are my numbers:

FC: 3.5
CC:0
TC:3.5
PH:7.5
TA:100
CH:60
CYA:50
Water Temp:84
This is pretty much what I test at every morning. I don't run all the test every day but always the chlorine and CC's and PH. The pool was shocked until I passed the OCT on July 8 &9. I had had a party and we are having high temps here in Ga also. It was looking cloudy so I shocked. I am using Bleach from Ingles as it was on sale and before that was using Wal Mart Bleach. I did go on line and the Ingals brand, Laura Lynn is 6%. I was also having this problem with the Great Value from WalMart. We have had high temps, for 1 week in the hundreds 3 or 4 days straight.
Last year it seems I was using half this amount and I was just wondering if everyone else is using this much bleach. I am trying to attach a pic of the pool but having a little trouble...if not I will post like this and follow up when I get the pic on...Thanks for your help, Cindy

Welcome back!!!

First thing I see is that the absolute MINIMUM FC for your CYA of 50ppm is 4ppm ... so obviously you have let the FC drop too low. This could mean you have a low level algae growth somewhere using up your FC and possibly making the water cloudy.

I would recommend bumping the FC up to shock level and running the OCLT to confirm something is using the FC at night ... likely.
If you fail, time to start the shock process again.

When you shocked the pool before, did you pass all 3 tests required to stop the shock process?

BTW, It is normal to use 2-4ppm of FC per day, that would put you around one 182oz bottle of 6% everyday if there is no algae.

Hi Jason, I guess I should have said that I am keeping it at 6-7. That is what it tests in the morning, I then add bleach to bring it back up. Also, I just finished shocking the pool and yes I passed all 3 parts of the OCLT. I am dealing with tons of trees around the pool but it's very nice to be in and see all the trees...I guess it is normal then to use that much bleach to keep it to 7? I just didn't have to do that last year so thought it was odd. It has been really hot though... thanks for responding quickly, I love this site!

Again, the minimum is 4ppm, so maybe you should start targeting 8ppm to ensure it does not drop lower than 4ppm.

Does the pool see sun all day? If so, bumping up the CYA a bit could help the daily loss some.

My Pool is in full sun from 11 AM until about 5 PM. I am still trying to get some pics up. My iphone takes pics that are too big. I was wondering if I should check the chlorine at night and add it rather than in the morning? Would it make a difference? If I have to add 2 gallons a day than I will. I love my pool and am in it for about 3 hours every day...gotta keep it nice!

The advantage of adding the chlorine at night is that it can then work on anything in the pool without the affect of the sun ... although in reality the daily use should be about the same I would think.

If you switch, aim high at night to ensure it is not below 4 by the next evening ... soon you should figure out if you are aiming too high and adjust.

Also, if you are going to have a party or high use, no problem bumping up the FC a bit before and after to kill anything off.

OK, I went out and used my digital camera and am posting a few pics...One to show the clean pool water, and a few just to show the trees all around the pool.

Attachments

• P1010135.JPG
    P1010135.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 141
  • P1010137.JPG
    P1010137.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 137
  • P1010138.JPG
    P1010138.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 137
Now I am being picky, but some might say that water looks a little cloudy ;) ... could just be the camera angle and reflections though.

Is the floor a different color than the walls?

No, the walls and floor are pretty much the same...the walls are in the shade however, it's 5 PM... The pool is clear, I promise. You mat have noticed it is also a little bit off level. It was a used pool and my boys threw it up in a hurry on a 102 degree day, 3 years ago. We actually went with the original liner and I do know that in the next few years it will need to be replaced and at that time I will use pros and also have it leveled. It has however provided many hours of enjoyment. Today is a cloudy day so the water doesn't look as sparkly as it usually does but it is clear. I even can use the brush and not get any grey "dust" on the bottom as I usually can after a few days. I expect that the dust is from the trees however. Last year we went thru a big thing on here trying to get the dust gone and determined that it was from all the trees. I am going to bring the pool up to 7 tonight and see where it is in the morning. Thanks so much for all your help here..I will post my AM #'s in the morning..

Wow, glad the quick install and used liner have lasted you 3 years without problems.

I think is is probably the clouds that made me think the water looked ... well ... cloudy ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hopefully I can post a sparkly pic tomorrow!! I got the pool for $500.00 and it had been moved 2 x's already. Mine was the 3rd time...I did buy a new pump this year @ $350.00 but it is running much better than the old one. I feel like I did pretty good for a used pool, even though it was only 1 1/2 yr. old. I'm a water kinda girl though..gotta have it!

I think it's mostly the hotter weather, if the pool water temp is warmer than last year. With no sun and no bather load, a pool with around 4-5 ppm FC at 80ºF might lose 0.3-0.4 ppm FC per day but at 90ºF it will lose 0.7-0.8 ppm FC per day, such losses being associated with the higher temperature and in a fairly clean pool. If you've got lots of leaves or other organic debris in the pool (even if in the filter or skimmer), then the non-sun chlorine demand will be even higher (perhaps double). The losses from sunlight, which are much higher, don't vary with water temp.

As was also noted, if the FC got toward the low side below 4 ppm, then nascent algae could start to grow even if not yet visible, so this shows up as higher chlorine demand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.