AGP deck question. 17'9 wide deck frame but 16' decking..

May 6, 2012
Endicott NY
849ae79fc8b707300b712c6f8af7f048.jpgHello everyone,,

I have a question on putting down decking on free standing pool deck. What is the best way to lay down the boards on a deck that is 17'9" wide and the longest boards I can get is 16' long? what is the best way to stagger them?

Thanks for any help.

Geo

Re: AGP deck question. 17'9 wide deck frame but 16' deckin

How far apart are the joists? What decking thickness did you select? If your joists are close enough and/or the decking thick enough I'd go with a diagonal placement - it wastes more lumber but you wouldn't have the expectation of a single board spanning the width and it would look nice.

Diagonal will work, or you could go with a center seam and use 2 runs of 10' boards. If you go with a centre seam I'd add another joist where the boards will meet so your not screwing 2 board ends to a single joist.

My deck has a centre seam, I'll admit it's not as nice as a seamless deck but it works fine for us.

I'd check into 10' boards as well. Sometimes the longer boards are more costly. (i.e. 2 10' boards may be as cheap or cheaper than one 16' board)

If it were me I would buy all 12 footers. Each course would be a full 12' and a 6' so you'd get a row done with 1.5 boards. Stagger every other and it will look fine. We have engineered decking on 12" on center floor joists done in this fashion. No slivers is a good thing.

This is the reason we ran our headers the opposite way you did because I didn't want to have to run 2 boards across. Here is my build thread new-abg-pool-llate-last-summer-now-deck-build-pics-t47323.html

I agree with the others I would go directional, more waste but I think you will be much happier in the long run as no seams with adjoinging boards, less chance of slivers, and over time the wood can shrink expand and the gaps may start to curl or what not. Either way good luck with the build I am sure your family will enjoy it once its done, I know we enjoy the pool so much more now with the deck

I think I would start on the edge closest to you in this shot. Start with a full board in the left corner and run it to the joist it reaches too and cut it off. If you are using composite decking, you may need to add a board's width length of 2x4 on both sides of the joist to support the board's tails and allow for the screws to have the 1.0-1.5 inch they require to prevent splitting. This is going to be about 2-3 feet from the end of the deck, I would then take the next board and cut the required piece off of that (2-3 feet?) and screw it down. I would then take the remaining 13+ feet board and starting in the corner where you started, do the same as you did with the first board. This will stagger your joints and minimize waste. Some of the shortish board could be used when you get close to the pool and the board will only be 3-6 feet long. I see you already have a board near the pools perimeter to support the smaller board ends near the pool.

FYI... if you do composite (like I have) buy the correct screws and read the installation instructions as your methods will be different for comp as opposed to wood. My composite only allows a cantilever (lip) of one inch unsupported but it only required a 16 inch joist spacing for the deck area. It also required pre-drilling for the screws at the ends of the boards where the screw was less than 1.5 inches from the end but only within .75 inch of the board edges.

I have had a composite deck for over 7 years and have done essentially zero maintenance and it looks great. My main deck is very similar in size and location. Our pools are the same size.

Thank you, lots of great ideas. I bought 16's and 10's already. I'm going to try a few differrent ways tonight. Frame is 16 on center 2x10 2x8 and 5/4x6 decking. boy wish I could change a few things....

Can you do a full 10' and half a 16' for a total of 18'? Depending on how your joists run this may or may not work well or you may need to add another joist where they come together. I don't think I'd like the aesthetics of 16 & 2 but you can't see it from my house... lol. Seeing you have them already, lay them out to see which way works best for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

MikeInNH said:
Can you do a full 10' and half a 16' for a total of 18'? Depending on how your joists run this may or may not work well or you may need to add another joist where they come together. I don't think I'd like the aesthetics of 16 & 2 but you can't see it from my house... lol. Seeing you have them already, lay them out to see which way works best for you.

Another idea depending on the number the OP bought would be to cut some of the 10's and 16's in half and treat it like hardwood - vary the lengths and stagger the seams. Some could be 5' + 8' + 5' for example.

rpm90001 said:
Thank you, lots of great ideas. I bought 16's and 10's already. I'm going to try a few differrent ways tonight. Frame is 16 on center 2x10 2x8 and 5/4x6 decking. boy wish I could change a few things....

RPM,

My deck's understructure is framed like yours, you can see what I did on my thread. I didn't want to threadjack so here is a link. My thread was created to show you what Idi as well as answers questions posted by others.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-deck-and-it-s-ever-increasing-scope-t49910.html

My deck is about 25 deep by 16 wide for a 21 foot pool. The board tails were stagged. if you look you can see the fasteners. All the decking is composite, two different brands. One was installed in about from 2007 and 2012 for the jump decking.

Not sure if this is too late or even helpful at all, but I have two ideas:

- Run 2 rows of 5/4 x 6 as a border around the perimeter (mitered corners, etc) you would be left with 15'-11" (17'-9" less 4 x 5.5") or so depending on board spacing, etc. Would require a little bit of additional framing, but it would look very nice. I did something similar with my deck (in progress anyway) but I don't have any pictures right now. I googled it really quickly and found an example of a single border (attached.) If you are using composite you can even use a contrasting color, etc. In this case you would still have a seam in the border pieces, but that is pretty easy to deal with.

- Another option is to add a visual seam down the center. Take a look at Tip 2 on this page from familyhandyman.com and look at both pictures. Again, will require a small amount of framing to accommodate, but might be worth the effort.

Good luck however you end up doing it. Most important part is that your water is sparkling and looking great!
Tommy

Attachments

• deck_with_a_pond_169dn0k-169dn51.jpg
    deck_with_a_pond_169dn0k-169dn51.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 405

Hey everyone,
I have not replied much, but have watched it close for new post. many great ideas, many would of solved my issue. I loved the idea of making a frame around the outside of the deck, but already finished. Well some may think I took the easy way out, but we tried many different ideas. We ended up cutting short pieces every other row on each end. It looks good, you really have to look to see it. Not ideal, but turned out very well. The wife reminds me it is a pool deck and not going to live in it...I can say it is built like a tank and is rock solid. Thank you everyone for all the great ideas. Now on to the railings..THANK YOU ALL!!

5229581_0.jpg

For all the talk, mine was done the same way. The distance from the stairs to the back is like a 3 foot piece and then a 16 and the next row is a 16 then a 3, repeated until the depth changed.

It looks great... just wish I could get to finish mine... I dug the footings last year and cut the first piece of wood in May! Guess 3 boys will do that to you... I really miss having time to get anything done!!!

Like I mentioned earlier,....Most important part is that your water is sparkling and looking great! Now go enjoy the pool!

How did you attach your 4x4 posts to the joists? I'm working on a deck for my house right now (not all the way to the pool yet..) and before I realized I should have left my posts sticking up long for railings, I had already cut them down to the height of my joists. Did you use some sort of brackets?

I blocked them in on all 4 sides when I did the framing. They are rock solid now and I have not bolted them in yet. I'm not sure yet if im going to bolt them, lag them, or screw them. I have been told there is some type of screw out that is better than bolting and lags but expensive. You can see some of the blocks in the first picture

I just bought some of those expensive screws. I am adding my ladder mounting point and a jumping platform on my high deck. I am going to mount them from underneath. How did you do yours? I have the same ladder. Also, did you do something where the outside ladder used to mount? I cannot tell from your photo. Can you post a close up?

IMG_5155.JPG

This is what I have at this time. It's a 4x6 with one piece of the composite decking on top of the 4x6 to add an extra inch. I am planning on screwing into the 4x6 from under the deck. Screwing into the composite decking doesn't seem like it will be strong enough..

The fancy screws don't seem as expensive once you get compare them to a carriage bolt, 2 washers and a bolt and you don't need to predrill. I used lags and carriage on the other stuff but I am going to try the screws for this part. I got 12 screws (2 7/8 inch IIRC for about $14)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.