Chlorine level at SWG cell or return

How much higher should the chlorine level be in a water sample taken directly from the cell (by loosening up the junction and capturing leaking water) or from water taken directly from in front of a return, when the SWG is running?

I have a Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite system with a T-15 cell sized for a 40,000 gallon pool. The SWG comparison table mentioned in several posts indicates that the cell should add 1.40 lbs. of chlorine per day. I'm doing some troubleshooting and trying to figure out if my cell is producing a normal amount of chlorine. I have the test kit with the DPD powder.

I think taking water from the cell is a bad idea (not sure why though ;)). I would not think the FC level would change much between the cell and the return.

Realize that the cell is not always generating unless you have it set to 100%.

jblizzle said:
I think taking water from the cell is a bad idea (not sure why though ;)). I would not think the FC level would change much between the cell and the return.

I loosened up the plumbing ring just downstream from the cell, just enough to let a small stream of (just-chlorinated) water leak out. I can't see how that would hurt anything. But I agree with you that the FC level shouldn't change much before the water comes out the return.

Realize that the cell is not always generating unless you have it set to 100%.

I do realize that. When doing this test, I first turn the cell off and then back on at 100%, and check the voltage and amps on the controller display to make sure it is generating.

Has anyone measured the chlorine "boost" when their SWG is generating?

It's impossible to say exactly how much FC there will be in a sample taken at the union. It should be a couple of ppm but you can't tell becasue things like flowrate through the cell will affect it greatly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.