Yet another Cloudy Water thread ....

rodey

Jun 3, 2012
Please bear with me and don't laugh or yell at how incredibly stupid I was. :hammer:

I was using the dip test strips. Okay, I get now why you aren't supposed to use them!! I bought them, then read that they suck, but figured, well it can't be that bad right?

I have been using the floating tabs but hardly any at all because the stupid strip kept saying my levels were perfect! So In the past 6 weeks I have put maybe 4 tabs into a 12,000 gallon pool.

Sooooo now i have water that looks like milk. I have the Intex Krystal 2650 filter, so I started by vacuuming every day, backwashing as needed, and scrubbing the slimy pool walls.

Got it to where you can see the bottom, which is a huge improvement! But still very cloudy.

I bought a different test, a cheap one that only tests chlorine, bromine and ph. (Its a few days to payday and I'm getting a 6 way test on Friday... but I had to have *something* at least.)

This initial test had a chlorine/bromine of 0/0 and a pH of 7.4.

Then I shocked it with one pound of trichlor shock. That brought my level to 1. I added another bag a few hours later and kept testing for a total of 4 bags. My level is now way too high to swim, about 8 ppm with bromine of 10. (Which is what I want, in order to kill everything.)

After I added all that shock, I continued to brush and vacuum and backwash/rinse the filter morning and night. The water that comes out is straight up brown and nasty for about 30 seconds and then clears up.

The water is much clearer, but still somewhat cloudy. And the pH is magically super low, I didn't think these chemicals would lower it, but it's something like 6.4. I added borax and am waiting for it to circulate a few hours before testing.

Obviously I will be doing better chemical maintenance from now on, and I'm grateful the problem isn't as bad as it probably should be. But is there ANYTHING more I should do at this point, or will what I have done suffice to get it clear? I have only had this problem for three days and started my shock yesterday.

rodey said:
But is there ANYTHING more I should do at this point, or will what I have done suffice to get it clear? I have only had this problem for three days and started my shock yesterday.
You should read "How to Shock your pool" in Pool School. Correctly shocking your pool is a process, not a product off the shelf. In order to maintain the correct shock level FC (which depends on your CYA), you will need a FAS-DPD test for chlorine. The TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 come highly recommended here. Make sure to keep your pool at shock level until you pass all 3 tests in Pool School. Also, you CAN safely swim at shock levels if you want to.

1) Go to TFTestKits.com and order either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. Pool School has a comparison of the two kits if you're interested.

2) Obtain a full set of test readings.

3) Adjust pH to acceptable levels, if it's off.

4) Bring CYA up to 30 if it's below that. If it's above 30, leave it alone, unless it's in the 80-ish range or higher.

5) Consult the Chlorine/CYA chart to determine your appropriate shock level of chlorine.

6) Read Shocking Your Pool in Pool School

7) Use the Pool Calculator to determine the amount of bleach required to reach your shock level, and then head to the store to buy 3 times that amount. This may or may not be enough, but it will be a good start.

8) Shock your pool.

========================

No...there aren't any shortcuts.

No...the "SpectralRainbowUnicorn test from WhatsItsPools.com" will not be "good enough".

No...you can't "substitute" a level/chemical/process/task.

Yes...it will work.

Yes...it will take time.

Yes...you'll be in complete control of your sparkling, healthy pool when you're done.

Yes...you'll need sunglasses to stare at it. :)

:cheers:

I'm definitely buying the TF100 on Friday and will do everything I *should* have been doing in the first place! I'm guessing that will be here Tuesday, so is there anything I can or should do in the meantime? The water is already looking MUCH better and the Borax worked, my pH is currently 7.2. I'll let that circulate a bit longer and see if it changes.

I greatly appreciate all your help! This site is a total godsend!

rodey said:
I'm definitely buying the TF100 on Friday and will do everything I *should* have been doing in the first place! I'm guessing that will be here Tuesday, so is there anything I can or should do in the meantime? The water is already looking MUCH better and the Borax worked, my pH is currently 7.2. I'll let that circulate a bit longer and see if it changes.

I greatly appreciate all your help! This site is a total godsend!

About the only thing that comes to mind might be to keep chlorine in it...the problem in this case is that, without a test kit, we're only GUESSING at your current CYA level, and any chlorine you toss in may be way too low to do any good, or way too high and get broken up by sunlight before it can accomplish anything. In either case, you'd just be wasting money and effort.

The one thing NOT to do at this point is to throw anything ELSE into the pool in the hopes of chasing things. You've obviously got some chlorine in there now, and you've got a good handle on the pH.

Personally, if it was me, I'd keep an eye on the pH, and just wait for the TF100 to arrive. I know that means a few extra days, but were it my pool, I'd prefer to be attacking things armed with knowledge rather than throwing chemicals around hoping they're right.

Just my $0.02 :)

Leave the pH alone right now, 7.2-7.4 is perfect for shocking.

You can take your water to a pool store for a full test, drive fast as the chlorine will continue to degrade. The test won't be 100% accurate, because they rarely are but it'll be a good guestimate for now until your kit arrives.

Shocking your pool involves hourly testing at first, because you'll lose a lot of chlorine every hour and have to replace it. Hourly. Eventually you can increase the testing time because you'll lose less and less chlorine in that hour but unless you can get on top of it, shocking as you're doing right now probably isn't doing much. You want to maintain shock level, consistently throughout the shocking process.

Pool school is your friend. Read many times.

The most important test result you need right now is the CYA result. Pool store won't be accurate, but again it's a best guestimate to begin with. We don't even know what the possible CYA number is for your pool, there's no way to determine what your shock level is, nor do we know if it's ok to continue to use the powdered shock product or if you need to go full stop and switch to liquid chlorine immediately. Powdered shock product is usually either tri-chlor which adds CYA, or di-chlor which adds calcium. Neither product should be used once the optimal levels of their respective residuals are reached.

Bottom line, let's get a pool store set of results and then we can help you limp along till your kit arrives. We just need more information to be able to tell you what your next steps could be.

I have been checking really frequently, mainly because I think it's cool to see what's going on in there. My chlorine levels are not going down and I'm using Trichlor to shock so I'm thinking there is at least some CYA in there. I didn't spend much on the trichlor, $10 for 5 pounds, so I won't be horribly sad if it gets all used up.

I'll bring my water in tonight, we have 12 different pool stores in a 25 mile radius which I think is kind of messed up considering I live in Michigan, not exactly the pool capital of the world. :D

rodey said:
I have been checking really frequently, mainly because I think it's cool to see what's going on in there. My chlorine levels are not going down and I'm using Trichlor to shock so I'm thinking there is at least some CYA in there. I didn't spend much on the trichlor, $10 for 5 pounds, so I won't be horribly sad if it gets all used up.

I'll bring my water in tonight, we have 12 different pool stores in a 25 mile radius which I think is kind of messed up considering I live in Michigan, not exactly the pool capital of the world. :D

Read pool school. :) Your chlorine is most definitely going down. Sunlight and organics both contribute to break down chlorine...so unless your pool is in a dark warehouse with no organics...you're losing chlorine. :lol:

You're correct in thinking "there's at least some CYA in there"...but unless you happen to know how MUCH there is, you'd only be guessing at the appropriate FC level to shock the pool. NOT knowing was the basis of my recommendation to simply wait. Trusting your own test results, with a quality test kit, is THE FOUNDATION of BBB. Everything on this site begins with trusting YOUR OWN test results, not "running off to the pool store and hoping for the best".

Until I can get my test kit, I'm going to just maintain pH and hope for the best. The pool store did give me the test results, and then tried to sell me $300 worth of chemicals. I didn't buy any. :)

TA 80
Chlorine 5
Bromine 10
pH 7.2
TH 0
CYA 0

I know there is some CYA in there.... I dumped in 5 pounds of Trichlor for crying out loud! They did not give me a FC number and I really didn't feel like going to a different place.

Do you think I will be okay to just maintain pH at this point until the test kit comes? Will it be okay to swim in? Ugly is fine, but I don't want anyone getting sick or having skin issues.

rodey said:
Until I can get my test kit, I'm going to just maintain pH and hope for the best. The pool store did give me the test results, and then tried to sell me $300 worth of chemicals. I didn't buy any. :)

TA 80
Chlorine 5
Bromine 10
pH 7.2
TH 0
CYA 0

I know there is some CYA in there.... I dumped in 5 pounds of Trichlor for crying out loud! They did not give me a FC number and I really didn't feel like going to a different place.

Exactly why trusting your own test results is the foundation. :goodjob:

Do you think I will be okay to just maintain pH at this point until the test kit comes? Will it be okay to swim in? Ugly is fine, but I don't want anyone getting sick or having skin issues.

Yes, I think the pool will be fine. It's already clearly got something in there, already obviously going to need shocking...so...you're not "losing" anything imo by waiting until you can make knowledgeable decisions about what to do.

As for swimming in it, I won't begin to speculate, having no idea what might or might not be going on in there. I'll leave this for someone much more experienced than I.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.