Need Help with Water Analysis!

Jul 11, 2012
I don't know what has happened to our pool in the past year or so but please help me figure out how I can make it safer for the rest of the season. I'm pretty sure I need to have it drained/start over! We added soda ash per Paddock instructions but the free chlorine is not coming down despite totally removing the chlorinator for a week in 105+ degree sunny weather. Here's the numbers! Thanks in advance for any help you can provide so we can remain swimming this season (if possible!).

12,000 gallon plaster pool
CYA: 250
Total Chlorine: 10
Free: 10
pH: 7
alkalinity, total: 100
Adjusted TA: 25
Hardness: 500
Copper- not tested but we have purple stains on our pool in a few locations so something is up here..
No green alge, no black, no pink slime

What has to happen? should we just be partially draining and re-adding water at this point since it is way too hot to totally drain here in Az?
Thanks again for any reponses! Neither I nor my husband know much about pools and obviously need to be educated. We've been busy working full time and raising toddlers so, sadly, our pool has suffered. ;(

Welcome!

CYA, hardness and pH are concerns with your plaster pool. Copper and the resultant staining are a big concern as well.

You should work on getting your pH into the mid-7s, but not too high.

You could very well benefit from a reverse osmosis treatment of your water. Due to the high calcium water in your area, RO treatment is offered, and will reduce your CH and CYA.

You need to do more research into your metal issues to find out where you stand.

thrashej said:
Neither I nor my husband know much about pools and obviously need to be educated. We've been busy working full time and raising toddlers so, sadly, our pool has suffered. ;(
Welcome to TFP. While you're listening to John's advice, take a look at pool school. Upper right corner of every page. I think you'll find a lot of information that you need right there for the absorption. Your statement above indicates that you're ready and willing to learn, so read pool school and browse the forum. There's a lot of information here for the taking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.