Introduction and Quick Question!

Jul 11, 2012
Houston, Texas
Hi all,

Been reading your site after purchasing a house with pool recently. Found it quite hard to maintain a decent level of chlorine in the pool and continued to have slight green algae problems (just growing on walls, not hard to scrub off). CYA was very high so I drained half of the pool to cut it down to a more normal level. Question occurs during this... I scrubbed the tile and a little lower onto the plaster with a 50% bleach/water mix. This morning I have a slight brown discloration on the plaster itself (haven't yet completely filled the pool). Was this caused by the bleach scrubbing and how do I get this stuff off? Should I just fill and add stain/scale remover?

For the record - chlorine tabs have been used for a while, little polaris scrubber guy, 17k water, white plaster.

The bane of me will be the two live oaks that have grown over the pool... so many leaves!

Happy to find this site - been interesting so far and I'm probably switching away from these chlorine tablets in short order!

- James

You can try rubbing it with some vitamin C tablets crushed up in a sock and dampened. If that doesn't work you can try holding a trichlor tablet on it for a little while once it's filled up. If the trichlor works you can raise the FC level for a while and it'll most likely go away.