First pool opening, here are my numbers

bigdave

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
Boise Idaho
I just put in my inground vinyl lined 29K gal salt water pool last year. I did hire someone to close the pool before winter, but I would like to open it up myself. I have read the "opening a pool" newletter from trouble free pools, but the local pool place is guiding me in a different direction. Help would be appreciated.

Tested results from pool store....

Total Chlorine 5.5
Free Chlorine 5.2
TDS: 1900
PH: 7
Tot. Alk 111
Adj Total Alk 102
Tot Hardness 92
salt 1400
borates 0

Pool store told me not to shock the pool because my Chlorine levels were already high from last session. Is this correct?

They also told me not to put algie preventer in because my salt generator would take care of it?

The results tell me I should raise my PH. What about Tot Hardness and anything else.

Help is always appreciated....

A couple more points. I haven't cycled the water yet. The pool is located in cold Boise, Idaho. I have an automatic pool cover and dry chlorine was dumped in to winterize.

Not sure how my chlorine levels could stay so high for 6 months without adding anything??

So I shouldn't adjust anything before adding salt?

Is there harm in that my total and free chlorine are not the same?

Should I aerate the pool first to bring up the PH and lower alkalinity?

Should hardness be much higher?

bigdave said:
So I shouldn't adjust anything before adding salt? Nope

Is there harm in that my total and free chlorine are not the same? Nope

Should I aerate the pool first to bring up the PH and lower alkalinity? Nope....you're not off much and the SWG is gonna' raise your pH
Should hardness be much higher?Nope

BigDave,

Welcome to the forum. All those stupid nopes were my way of saying Jason's got you covered. Your numbers are decent and the SWG will correct the minors variances you do have.

We almost never consider TDS on this forum but a Calcium Hardness test might be helpful when you get a chance.

Thanks Jasonlion and Dave!

Being new to the pool chemical scene is a learning process. But you guys are bringing me up to speed fast.

The forum has helped me out a few time now since building my own pool last summer, and boy that was a job. I hired out only the excavation, auto pool cover, and finished cement. The poolcrete about killed me, lost 15lbs and my forearms look like popeye the sailor. Not sure where to upload a pic or I would. Pretty proud of my completed job.

Forgot to add my CYA is 30. I will check my CH when I get a chance.

When is the best time to bring up my borates? After I get the system up and stable with good chem readings? I did read the sticky on borax and acid and it was very well documented, awesome work....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.