Cloudy Water

DKT113

Jun 28, 2012
Butler, PA
I am ordering a test kit. At the time I have the 6-Way from Store of All Evil (WalMart) & went to (2) local pool stores to have them test.
We are moving a lot of the dirt from the excavation & have had (2) storms since install (2) weeks ago.

These are the numbers I have to work with:
Hardness 250
Chlorine 5 ppm ~ both pool places and my test show this number
Free Chlorine ~ 5 (I can't test for this that I know of, one store did not tell me the FC result)
Ph 7.2 both pool stores & my test agree with this
Alkalinity ~ 120 ppm
Stabilizer ~ Store 1 said 50 or just a bump up from 50 ppm, second store said 50-55 ppm & my home test didn't detect it ( I added stabilizer on the 5th).

Both pool stores said considering the weather we have had 100 degrees ~ blazing sun, the amount of landscaping I am doing ~ let the filter do the work (run it round the clock a few days), my numbers look good for being a new install. Backwash filter, and come Thursday/ weekend take a look at the Alkalinity and possibly raise with Baking Soda (cheaper route) making sure the Ph stays at target or I if I preferred I could use a commercial grade "baking soda" that would do it quicker but could raise the Ph wildly. They both stated keep the chlorine where it is at as well as the Ph, test it often while I am running this filter trying to clear it up.

My chlorine has held at 5 ppm this evening/ Ph is at 7.2. We did have a break in the heat today as well as the sun (a bit of clouds today).
Filter is running. I did backwash earlier this evening.

At this point based on these numbers (I know I need to order a Kick A test and will be doing so) but based on the numbers I have tonight ~ what would you do to aid in clearing this water up? I know folks aren't a fan of pool store numbers ~ but right now it is all I have until I look into and order a good home test kit.

First, forget about adding baking soda to raise the TA.
The TA at 120 is higher than recommended, but okay. BTW, we use baking soda to raise TA because it has little effect on the pH.

What is your chlorine source? Are you using bleach/liquid chlorine?

I suggest that you raise the FC level to about 8 to 10, which is just slightly above target level.

When you get the test kit you will test FC & CC and know where to go from there.

Backwash/rinse filter when the pressure increases 20% over clean pressure psi.

How did the water look coming out of the backwash?

You can compare recommended test kits in Pool School pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

The best thing you can do for your pool is get a good test kit. The fav around here is the TF100. Link in my sig.

My chlorine is:
http://www.pooltime.com/mp/v/index....210VgnVCM10000053d7010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default
pooltime Chlorinating Granules plus 4 in 1 Sanitizer & Shock
I am not at all opposed to using Bleach & am planning on purchasing some from Sam's Club this weekend ~ at this point though I have no idea how much to pick up to clear the current water and to maintain once I get clear.
I am not sure if I want to be adding the pooltime product because I don't want it to raise my cya, but I am unsure how much bleach to use.
Hoping someone here can guide me to help me get on my feet while I learn about the chemistry.

Water coming out of backwash was cloudy for I would imagine less than a minute and then clearer ~but never clear as the water in the pool is not clear.
Pool Store number 2 addressed backwash issue with me. He said once I notice the water coming out clearer turn off power, put back into filter mode. It isn't something you can time and say 3 minutes does it or 5 minutes handles it ~ it's all visual.

We swept and vac'd this afternoon, cleaned skimmer, removed a few leaves from pump & left everything running.

Should maybe say too I don't have to wait until the weekend to get the bleach ~ I just don't want to go dumping it in without guidance & I have no idea how much of it I need to be adding because I am limited with the 6 way test.

DKT113 said:
My chlorine is:
http://www.pooltime.com/mp/v/index....210VgnVCM10000053d7010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default
pooltime Chlorinating Granules plus 4 in 1 Sanitizer & Shock
I am not at all opposed to using Bleach & am planning on purchasing some from Sam's Club this weekend ~ at this point though I have no idea how much to pick up to clear the current water and to maintain once I get clear.
You should stop using the granuals as your CYA is already at the top end. Switch to bleach/liquid chlorine.

I am not sure if I want to be adding the pooltime product because I don't want it to raise my cya, but I am unsure how much bleach to use.
Hoping someone here can guide me to help me get on my feet while I learn about the chemistry.
Your new best friend is the PoolCalculator.com. It will help you figure doses. Example, in a pool your size, a small jug of 6% bleach (96ozs.) will add about 2.5 PPM FC.
Go to the PoolCalculator.com and play around with it. Post back any qustions and someone will be around to help.

You can buy 10 to 20 large jugs of bleach and they will not be wasted. We can't really tell you how much you will need until we get some good test numbers.

Water coming out of backwash was cloudy for I would imagine less than a minute and then clearer ~but never clear as the water in the pool is not clear.
Pool Store number 2 addressed backwash issue with me. He said once I notice the water coming out clearer turn off power, put back into filter mode. It isn't something you can time and say 3 minutes does it or 5 minutes handles it ~ it's all visual.
Right, but, one thing missing is the 'rinse' cycle. After you backwash for X minutes (or until your water runs clear), you should turn off power, move to 'rinse' and rinse about 30 seconds. Then turn off power, then move back to filter. The rinse is important.

We swept and vac'd this afternoon, cleaned skimmer, removed a few leaves from pump & left everything running.

Thanks
No one mentioned rinse...
I will backwash in the morning and rinse and from that point wait for the increase and do both steps from that point on.
I will pick up the bleach tomorrow and try to play around with the pool calculator and get the test kit ordered.
We won't add any more of the granules.

Thanks again you for your help, it's really appreciated.

DKT113 said:
Should maybe say too I don't have to wait until the weekend to get the bleach ~ I just don't want to go dumping it in without guidance & I have no idea how much of it I need to be adding because I am limited with the 6 way test.

Okay, your OTO/yellow drop kit tests up to 5 TC. Let's say it is 5 and you want to reach 10. Use the PoolCalculator.com to help you figure an accurate dose.

Or, know that one 96oz. jug will add about 2.5ppm, and do some math, and add 2 jugs (about 5ppm FC) to reach 10ppm.

We got lots of folks around here able and willing to help :)

I opened that calculator real quick to see about the fc & it isn't as intimidating as it looked when I looked at it earlier today. I was easily able to see how many 96 oz jugs I need to add to get to 8-10.

I will be doing so tomorrow... and will have to wing it a bit until my official kit gets here, but will get it on order asap.

Also I am able to add some water, should I run the hose (Our water is soft, well water ~ we have no rusting issues) to assist the high end cya? Or should I just move forward with the bleach for the time being until my test kit arrives?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test Kit ordered & I got the stirrer as well. Order confirmation email came within moments ~ thanks, David!
I am east coast so hoping I have it by the weekend ~ it says usually 2 days transit for ec so fingers crossed. (Ship that sucker my lagoon is in desperate need :cheers: )
Will be making a bleach purchase tonight / crunching numbers on the calculator and adding accordingly.
Backwashed this morning and Rinsed. The backwash I didn't notice much of a change in clarity, but when I rinsed Holy BaJoly "stuff" came out! I was obviously missing a step key to the whole operation ~ thanks again for telling me specifically to do the rinse. The filter for our ig pool growing up needed "bumped" I am just learning to use a sand filter.

I didn't bother to check chlorine level as all I had on-hand was a partial bottle of Clorox under the sink & I don't want to be adding the granules. So it filters today and I will begin to work a little magic tonight when I get home.

DKT113 said:
Test Kit ordered & I got the stirrer as well. Order confirmation email came within moments ~ thanks, David!
:goodjob: You're gonna be in control of your pool soon!

I am east coast so hoping I have it by the weekend ~ it says usually 2 days transit for ec so fingers crossed. (Ship that sucker my lagoon is in desperate need :cheers: )
You could add your city and state in your profile. It helps us to know where pools are located before giving advice.

Will be making a bleach purchase tonight / crunching numbers on the calculator and adding accordingly.
Backwashed this morning and Rinsed. The backwash I didn't notice much of a change in clarity, but when I rinsed Holy BaJoly "stuff" came out! I was obviously missing a step key to the whole operation ~ thanks again for telling me specifically to do the rinse. The filter for our ig pool growing up needed "bumped" I am just learning to use a sand filter.
You're welcome. The installers should have given some info/instructions/manual with the equipment. If you need a copy of the manual, just ask. Someone around here will have one.

I didn't bother to check chlorine level as all I had on-hand was a partial bottle of Clorox under the sink & I don't want to be adding the granules. So it filters today and I will begin to work a little magic tonight when I get home.

:-D You're already feeling empowered. If you want to lug fewer jugs, you could use liquid chlorine. You can shop around for prices and see how they compare to the bleach. Check expiration dates and storage for your bleach/liquid chlorine. Liquid chlorine (higher % sodium hypochlorite) degrades faster than the 6% bleach.

Captain's Log:
My son brushed and vac'd the pool while I was at work. Tested Chlorine (just to insure we hadn't burned it all off and it was 5ppm or greater / Ph climbed up to about to 7.4)

Bleach purchased:
(2) boxes of the 182 oz Regular 6% (3 pack)
(1) bottle introduced to the pool in front of outflow (slowly) last night 9:00 pm / Brushed pool to circulate ~ filter was reading at a non-backwash status psi so I didn't backwash.
(Smelled "bleachy" when it was first introduced (not bothered by that) ~ but within 45 minutes of checking no odor was detected from this smoker's nose)
(1) bottle introduced to the pool in front of outflow (slowly) this morning at 6:30 am / Brushed pool to circulate ~ filter did not indicate backwash was needed.
(no "bleachy" odor detected prior to adding / I left for work so didn't do a smell test after I brushed)

I didn't bother testing ~ my Kick A Test Kit in en route ~ the HTH 6-Way won't test what I need but I know the addition of the 2 bottles won't kick me into shock mode (based on an assumed CYA level of 50-60 from 2 pool store readings and my 6-Way reading ~ I would have needed 5 or 6 gallons to kick it up to that) & I know it's going to be full sun and hot, hot, hot today so made an executive decision to add a jug.

Our Sam's had plenty of 3 pack 182oz's so more is available 2 minutes down the road, once it's time to get serious.

Electric Company is probably going to hold a dinner in my honor at some point this year... I will be requesting a Chinese menu & a nice, spicy Bloody Mary or 2 (I like the addition of garlic stuffed olives & pepperoni on my skewer) and then I will just ride with Jack and Coke's until dessert ~ because my filter is just a running, round the clock, but felt it best to let it filter, opposed to sitting all day baking.

The TF100 which was ordered yesterday will arrive tomorrow!!! (I had to hold back using the caps, that's how excited I am!!) It doesn't get any better than that.
That's awesome turnaround, I am truly psyched up about it.
Not to mention it will give me the weekend to get things rolling correctly as I work Mon-Fri so I will have fri, sat & sun to tinker with my bleach and my lagoon!!! Woot!!

Did just want to mention the awesome turnaround, because I am sure people are on the fence as it relates to actually needing a better quality test kit, shelling out the bucks for one when they have the strips and simpler mass marketed kits already. Transaction went zippity doo dah quick and they turned that order right around, have it out the door and on it's way to me. I just feel good about not having to collect samples to get them quickly to various pool stores to test to be given numbers back in return that are guestimates.

So if you are on the fence and wondering ~ I can say without a doubt the ordering process has gone very smooth & shipping is faster than a person can really expect. And I spent 26 bucks for a 6 way test that didn't give me the information I needed ~ time collecting samples and getting them to pool stores to wait in line and was given non solid / incomplete data ~ so the price for this kit to get something solid I think it totally justifiable.

Test Kit arrives today and conveniently I leave the office earlier than usual because my daughter has a dental appointment. Woot!
Now I have been adding a 182 oz jug of regular clorox each night. To keep me in the 8-10 range (without a kit with the numbers from the 2 pool stores this is about the best I could do and it was under the adices found in this thread ). I am brushing and using the vac. No increase in pressure so after the initial rinse I have not had to backwash yet. I don't have leaves and debris ~ just clouded because of algae...

Will be buying a few 3 packs of bleach after the dental and heading home to get things "officially underway". We have sporadic rains forecasted this weekend but I plan to just test and work with it if our area receives the water we desperately need as I will have 3 uninterrupted days.
I know I started with a Ph on or about 7.2 ( 2 pool store tests and a home HTH 6-Way all agreed with this). With the addition of this bleach I am most likely out of range (at/above 10ppm according to calculator) to bother checking this.

When the bleach and myself pull in what specific numbers do I test for and post here for guidance?
Do I wait for sun to go down before beginning.
My pool in in Western Pa ~ full sun when the rooster crows until sunset. Very full sun. Pool store guy number 2 said if he were me he would shoot for the higher end of CYA as that's what he does in his own pool. He said as we are in season with record breaking heat for our area he bumped his to 60 and explained with splashout and topoffs he'll gradually get to about 50-55 but he feels the timing will be about perfect as we get through summer. He is also having to top off about twice a week. I will be relying on you guys and following your advice but felt I should mention a local cya recommendation from a man who obviously pays attn to his.

I had to introduce water from the well last night (we don't have a metal problem) ~ it's been evaporating and was getting to the point where if much more came out over the weekend (if we don't get any of the rain they are saying some areas could get) lvl would be getting too low for skimmer (it was registering on the bottom of the screw I use for the low point. I added the water and brought it up to a bit above lowest screw and the pump/filter have been on continually. I did add the safest minimal amount.

last night pool smelled bleachy ~ again I am not bothered by that, just letting you know what I am observing.
If you could let me know what part of the tests I focus on to begin the process this afternoon I will get home, test and put the numbers up so we can move forward.
I know CYA & FC are a must.
Feel I'm most likely above 10ppm so I should not test for ph, but will defer to your recommendation
and I need to know what other data you would like to see to help me.

Thanks in advance for everything, I truly appreciate it.

Test everything! :-D

FC
CC
pH (you know, if the FC is below 10, which it prob will be if you test when you get home :) )
TA
CH
CYA

You might also want to test your fill water for TA & CH.

Even tho low to no CH is not important w/vinyl, too high could be a problem. So, any time anyone mentions 'cloudy', we like to see the CH test #, too.

If you have any questions about how to do a test, see the Extended Test Kit Directions here:
extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

You do not have to wait for the sun to go down before starting. Test as soon as you can after you get home. You need light esp for the CYA test.

You may indeed use a little higher than normal CYA (per your comment) for your pool/area/exposure, but don't add any until everything else is under control.

:party: Test Kit Has Arrived, I am in my Glory to Finally have it in my fat little Fingers! :party:
:cheers: Thank You Dave & Meg :cheers:
Ok lets let it Rip:
Water Temp 82
CYA~ 40 (waist length, back to sun, much closer to 40 than 50 ~
FC ~ 16.5
CC ~ 0
Total Alkalinity ~ 110
Hardness 160 ~ (I might have botched this as folks have different interpretations of blue... but even at 18 drops colored seemed not to deepen.
Ph~ 7.8

Overcast Day ~ possibly rained while I was at the office today (I saw kitty prints on the walk) My test kit packaging though looked Super Professionally packed with care & dry though!

Pictures of the lagoon, below~ it's cloudy ~ please help
Eye to the left of this, thus the ripples
019.jpg

Calmer Water, away from the eye
020.jpg

5:08 pm (lapse longer than hour bc I had a child leaving and a driveway full of people to collect her and her things. From now on testing each hour until bed... or Jack Daniels prevents the ability! (Have a thirst built like no other & no kids tonight & my test kit... ~ it just doesn't get any better than this right now, unless of course my water was clear!)

5:08 pm
14 ppm ~ added 182 oz 6% bleach
0 ~ cc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.