Conflicting schooling

cood60

Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 20, 2012
Virginia Beach
I found a contradiction in school rules and just wanted to make sure I am doing the right thing with the water balance

The Pool School section on the relationship between Cl and CYA (chart and all) says to drain pool water if CYA gets too high...above 80.
The Water balance for SWG section says the biggest mistake SWG Vinyl pool owners make is to have too little CYA, ie keep it at 80

Seems conflicting??

Cush Dobbs

SWG has slightly different rules, seems they can get away with slightly less chlorine levels but prefer higher CYA because it takes time to generate the chlorine. With that said, I've found that areas like mine (not super hot and only partial sun) can get away with lower CYA. Much warmer where you live.

Bear in mind that CYA requirements can also vary by location, and some of the things here are suggestions that must be tailored to an individual pool. It's a balancing act - when your CYA gets too high, you will have trouble maintaining a high enough chlorine level to be effective. And if it's too low, it'll be hard to not lose your FC during the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.