Wahoo! TF100 kit arrived. Now for some real numbers...

DPawlu

Aug 4, 2011
Central New Jersey
My TF100 kit arrived today.

TC was > 5 (off the scale, maybe around 7 if I had to guess)
Ph = 7.2
CYA = 20 (the dot disappeared around 20)
CH = 120
TA = 100

Almost there. I need to bump the CH up because it is a plaster pool. The Ph could use a little boost too.

My CYA was zero when I opened last Thursday. I let a sock of 4 lbs. CYA granules dissolve on Friday, so, it has only been 3 days. I'm going to leave it alone and see if it comes up over the next few days (I'll let the trichlor pucks in the in-line chlorinator bring it up over the next few days then shut it down when it gets to around 40).

The water is nice and clear and 75 deg. F. :)

Glad you got your TF-100. The great thing about having it is that you never have to guess about your chlorine. It reads up to 50 ppm so you should know exactly what your FC is, even if it is over 5. Were you using the FAS-DPD test? That is the one where you add the powder and cont the drops until the pink goes away.

Yes, I used the block test. I just ran the FAS-DPD test and came up with:

FC = 13.5 (!)
CC = 0.5

Ouch! I guess it was a little more greater than 7 than I thought. I can let that level come down over the next few days.

When I added the 5 drops of R-0003 it turned an ever-so-slight shade of pink and 1 more drop of R-0871 cleared it up again, so that makes the CC = 0.5

There are some leaves, twigs, and some dead bugs on the bottom, but not that many. Should I worry about a CC of 0.5?

supertune said:
4 lbs of CYA doesn't seem very much for a 29,000 gal pool!
Pool calculator shows me 9 1/2 lbs to get to 40ppm from 0.

I went light on the CYA. I was thinking the trichlor in the chlorinator would bring it up some more. Is my thinking correct?

Note: I am only newly freed from relying on the pool store and thinking for myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.