Since Sean is asking...

Mar 29, 2007
Southwestern Ontario
Here are a few shots of ours. Completed Sept '06.

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

Thanks for the compliments!

The fence was a necessary evil Ric, I was not sold on it, but in the end it looks ok. It is only 4' high, did not want something that would block the view of the yard either way. Since I have a young kid she can play in the yard without worry. Safety First!

Once my patio furniture shows up Sean I will post a new pic for the slideshow.

The Mermaid Queen said:
Very nice looking pool!

Crazy question: is that your front yard? or do you not have a house behind you?

Its my backyard.

I am on a corner lot, as you can see in the first picture. The fence line across behind the shed are peoples back yards behind me. I have just over 3/4 of an acre lot, kind of an odd pie shaped lot, It was actually two lots.

Hi Caustic
I like your pergola. Did you build it your self? Im thinking ove doing one also. Do you get enough shade or do you think some type shade cloth on top would be better in heavy sun. I would probably like to ask some questions if its not a bother.

ric said:
Hi Caustic
I like your pergola. Did you build it your self? Im thinking ove doing one also. Do you get enough shade or do you think some type shade cloth on top would be better in heavy sun. I would probably like to ask some questions if its not a bother.

Ask whatever you need to, no bother at all. I will try to answer as best as I can.

No, I did not build it. The entire yard was done by the landscape design/build crew and the pool people. It did not seem really complex from watching them build it but I am definitely not a handy person around the house. :-D.

It does give shade yes, depending on where the sun is at that time of day. You could always put more wood pieces on top if needed. I didn't want too many as I was planning to hang some sort of sunshade/screen on a drawstring off the front if needed to block some of the late afternoon sun or plant some sort of vines in pots that would grow up and overtop. Also, we still aren't sure if we are going put the patio furniture we ordered under there or get something else with a canopy over it such as a couple swing seats or loungers etc.

Anything else, just ask.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ric said:
Hi Caustic

Just my 2 cents.....I have a Pergola also and ended up adding a screen to the top so that it gets better shade. I used a screen called Sunblock 90 which is supposed to block 90% of the sun. I got it at Lowes Home Improvement for about $18.00 per roll but I imagine Menards or Home Depot have it also. It works very well and provides good shade.

crazycanuck said:
Question... where do you store your solar blanket when not in use?

Well, since it was built late last season I have been leaving it across the pool unless we want to do a few dives. If we are using the board we put it along the iron fencing on the left side if you were standing on the diving board. Picture below shows what I have been doing.

IMG_0518.jpg

My plan is to hang it under my deck for the swim season once the night time temps get warm enough to not drop my pool temps a couple degrees a night without it. Then when it gets cool again in Sept/Oct I will put it back out on the deck area.

Personally its a pain in the Rear as far as I am concerned, and a lesson learned for the next build is to go with an autocover.

brittmer said:
Hi Caustic

Just my 2 cents.....I have a Pergola also and ended up adding a screen to the top so that it gets better shade. I used a screen called Sunblock 90 which is supposed to block 90% of the sun. I got it at Lowes Home Improvement for about $18.00 per roll but I imagine Menards or Home Depot have it also. It works very well and provides good shade.

Did you attach grommets to the fabric and some sort of a hook system to hold it up Brittmer? I was looking at something like those 3 sided sails they are selling now.

Caustic: Your pool is so clear it looks fake!!

Brittmer: could you share a photo or two of your pergola with the shady fabric? We are planning (lots of stuff :roll: ) to put a pergola over our deck, and I want more shade than the slats provide. I was thinking of somehow incorporating some sort of waterproof material (plexi, corrugated fiberglass, etc) so we would have a cover, but I do not want the material to show...I just want to see the wood of the pergola. Perhaps the cloth would be a good middle-of-the-road thing, not really solid, yet not unsightly, either.

The Mermaid Queen said:
Caustic: Your pool is so clear it looks fake!!

Grace, honest no illegal drugs were used to create that crystal clear pool water! Definitely not fake! Your welcome to stop in anytime. (I still owe you for modifying that .xls file!!)

I think it comes down to reading here and pool forums...and not adding every chemical under the sun.

Caustik said:
brittmer said:
Hi Caustic

Did you attach grommets to the fabric and some sort of a hook system to hold it up Brittmer? I was looking at something like those 3 sided sails they are selling now.

No grommets. I just used stainless steel staples and stapled the screen on top of the 2x2's that run across the top of the pergola. Not only does it stay shady but it also stops light rain from getting though. I will post pictures of it soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.