New pool - up and running. First test of water.

Jojo4A

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Moundville, Alabama
Ok, pool was completed on Saturday and filled with water :-D . Sunday we had a very heavy rain. I added 180oz 6% bleach and used pole/skimmer to mix. PB was here yesterday, hooked up everything, all pumps and SWG going. He added salt, calcium and stabilizer. Completed his Pool School obligation. Gave us a bottle of Aquacheck strips and advised us to have our water checked at the pool store about every month. I just smiled and winked at DH.
First test numbers
FC 8
CC 1
pH 7.5
TA 60
CH 150
CYA 40

Not sure exactly what type of stabilizer he added. It looked like granules mixed with water. He then poured it in the skimmer. Instructed us to keep pump running 24/7 x 7 days. I know my CYA needs to get up to 70-80. Thinking I need to wait for stabilizer to fully dissolve before adding any thing else. Plan to test each day to see if CYA trends up. If it stops trending up, will follow pool calculator recommendations to get to 70. Am I on the right track? Any thing I need to do in the mean time?

Ditto to what Richard320 stated.

One suggestion: Please consider putting SWG in your signature along with the rest of your pool information. :) On a future post, someone may not be aware (or not catch) that the Pentair IntelliChlor in your signature is a salt chlorinator and might post advice assuming you have a manually chlorinated (non-SWG) pool.

Ok, pump and SWG running 24/7 since Monday.

Test results today:
FC 16.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.6
TA 90
CH 140
CYA 70
NaCl 4200ppm

Does this seem right for new pool. PB said leave SWG going for 24/7 x 7 days. It that still necessary with these numbers? Also, Question about CYA Test. So I did the test outside, sun at my back and get 70. I poured the sample back and forth several times. Inside the house I get closer to 60. Does that sound right? Can the light source make a difference?

Jojo4A:

Your FC of 16.5 is rather high for a daily maintenance level. Per the Chlorine/CYA Chart for a SWG pool at a CYA of 70, the target FC is 5.

As for the salt, I would go with what is in the manual for your SWG - maybe slightly higher than the "ideal" number as a hedge against dilution from a rain storm. You don't want to go way over, just a little bit (100-200 ppm). While you are in the manual, I would see if your SWG is capable of lowering the voltage to keep the current constant at higher salt levels or if there is high salt shut off. If there is a high salt shut off, see if it is adjustable or whether it activates at a fixed salt ppm level.

The rest of your numbers look good.

As for the CYA test, lighting does make a difference. I would go with your outdoor reading of 70.

Regarding pump run time, this will require some experimentation. Here is a Pool School article to get you started: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pump_run_time. Note that the SWG % setting will need to change any time you change the pump run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.