Advise please on Above Ground

carock

Jul 8, 2012
I have read the pool school several time and refer back to it often, thanks!!! I would like some advice or confirmation that I am on the right track.

I shocked our new pool until I maintained less than 1 ppm loss of chlorine over night. However, by the end of the day, the chlorine is .5 - 0. The pool is in direct sunlight all day.

Based on everything I read, I tested the CYA level it was .5. Ok, now I know why I am losing chloring during the day. Using the calculator I added 83 oz of stabilizer in a sock yesterday, it has not completely dissolved.

My water is crystal clear with no evidence of algae, I have been adding 186 oz of bleach per night while I wait for the cya to rise. Should I keep the chlorine at shock level until I have the proper cya reading or is what I am doing ok?

Thanks!!! You have taught me so much about pool maintainenace! :whoot:

Hi carock and welcome to TFP! :)
My pool in 85% daylight with high heat (Florida) I will lose 3.5-4ppm and if all the kids in it 3-4 hours... another 1 to 1 1/2 ppm.
My CYA is 50ppm.
My guess is once your pool balance is good, you'll want to be at least 40-50 range depending on your temperature.
You will have to wait about 4-5 days for CYA to show up in testing.

Chuck

Carock,
I would stay away from the pucks. Like what was said... use them when your not home to help with pool care.
Pucks are acidic and will lower pH and also add CYA and some chlorine all in one product!
I think you will have a better understanding of TFP water chemistry if you keep them all separate.
Use bleach or the stronger liquid chlorine for FC,
From the Pool School:
You can lower pH with muriatic acid or dry acid.
You can raise pH with borax or soda ash/washing soda. Soda ash/washing soda will increase TA more than borax will.
You increase CYA by adding cyanuric acid, often sold as stabilizer or conditioner. CYA is available as a solid and as a liquid. The liquid costs a lot more, and generally isn't worth the extra expense. Solid stabilizer can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so don't retest your CYA level for a week after adding some.

Chuck

So now that I have all the numbers where they are suppose to be and I am retaining chlorine on these hot sunny days. I add 96 oz of bleach each evening. My question is do I need to also add Algaecide once a week? Thanks!

carock said:
So now that I have all the numbers where they are suppose to be and I am retaining chlorine on these hot sunny days. I add 96 oz of bleach each evening. My question is do I need to also add Algaecide once a week? Thanks!
No.

You may never need to add algaecide nor "shock" your pool ever again. Just keep FC above minimum for your CYA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.