New to TFP and just tested with the K=2006 and the salt test

cookie

Jul 5, 2012
Dubuque, IA
Hello Everyone,

My pool has been open here in Iowa for a couple months now. Have just been adding bleach and shock. Water now is clear and here are the specs. I need to know what to do next and in what order. Thank you.

Salt 3000
FC .6
CC .2
PH 7.6
CYA could still see the black dot
TA 250
CH 200

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Cookie

Re: New to TFP and just tested with the K=2006 and the salt

Welcome to TFP!!!

First what was the "shock" you added? ... we do not use that word here as a noun ... it is a verb. Shocking is a process you go through to eliminate algae/undesirables in your pool, not a product you throw in haphazardly.

I assume you have been reading here since you got the K-2006? :goodjob:

Have you read through Pool School?
Do you have a specific question?

The only thing I see you need to do if raise the CYA up to the recommended range (30-50ppm) and then keep your FC above the minimum for you CYA level (see chart in Pool School if you do not know what I am talking about).

If you keep the FC in the correct range using liquid chlorine ... there will never be a need to throw in the bag of "magic powder" on a regular basis.

EDIT: Oops now I see you have a SWG. Do you have reason to believe you have any algae? If not, you need to raise the CYA up to 70-80ppm and then adjust your SWG so that it maintains the proper FC level. You should not have to be regularly adding bleach or powder once things are adjusted correctly. Currently you are likely loosing a LOT of your FC to the sunlight due to the low CYA and thus your SWG is not able to keep up.

Thanks Jason. That's what I thought. Was shocking the pool with bleach to clear up the algae. Should I use the pool calculator to determine amount of Cyanuric acid to use.

Cookie

have you passed the 3 tests to stop shocking? Specifically the OCLT.

Best to be sure you have nothing in the pool before raising the CYA or the shock level gets pretty high.

Also continue to use bleach to keep your FC level up until the SWG takes over.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

jblizzle said:
Best to be sure you have nothing in the pool before raising the CYA or the shock level gets pretty high.
It is much easier to shock when CYA is around 30 than when it is near zero. So raise CYA to around 30 now, and then raise it up to recommended levels when you are done shocking.

JasonLion said:
jblizzle said:
It is much easier to shock when CYA is around 30 than when it is near zero. So raise CYA to around 30 now, and then raise it up to recommended levels when you are done shocking.

Agreed. I meant before raising to SWG levels, but your clarification was good as I was not clear. Thanks.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.