PVC Pipe Price

el_steak

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
I'm shopping around for ridgid 1 1/2" PVC pipe for my solar panel installation. I need about 90' of pipe.

Unfortunately, the big hardware store in my area (Home Depot, etc.) don't carry 1 1/2" or 2" PVC pipes, only ABS. The prices I got so far from the pool stores are around 25$ for a 10 feet, 1 1/2" pipe (around 225$ for my installation). That's almost 5 times more expensive than the equivalent ABS pipe. Is that the price I should expect to pay or should I look elsewhere?

I buy my pipe from Home Depot. I can't imagine they don't have 1-1/2" Schedule 40 PVC. The local one has almost a full aisle of it.

JohnT said:
I buy my pipe from Home Depot. I can't imagine they don't have 1-1/2" Schedule 40 PVC. The local one has almost a full aisle of it.

I don't know if it has to do with different codes in Canada vs US, but at my local Home Depot (and other big hardware stores in my area) we have a full aisle of 1-1/2" ABS pipe, but only 3" and 4" PVC pipes.

I'm on the Quebec side though, I'll go and have a look on the Ontario side tonight. Maybe they carry different stuff.

Would ABS work as well as PVC and maybe even better because it is black so it would not reflect light like white would(water would be hotter??). Don't think UV would be a problem because here in the states they are used in just about every home built and are sticking out of the roof as vent pipes. I would ask a plumer.
Harry

ABS is fine, actually probably better - it is typically more expensive than PVC not less. I would search for a plumbing supply store or some other retail outlet. I bought 2" PVC pipe the other day and think it was about $8 for a 10' length.

I do know that plumbing code allows use of ABS in Canada and that is why the BORG (big orange box - aka Home Depot) probably carrise so much of it in residential size. Don't see why you couldnt use it for what you want to do, it cuts and glues the same as sch. 40, but do inquire some more and let us know.
:)

I went to the Home Depot in Ontario last night and they don't carry the PVC pipes either. They have 3" and 4" "sewer" PVC types as well as the small diameter 1/2", 3/4" CPVC pipes used to replace copper pipes in houses.

I asked the guy why they only carry ABS and not PVC and he told me that the code in Canada doesn't allow for the use of PVC pipes in the house for sewer/drainage applications.

I did some research on the web on using ABS instead of PVC and most of the info I found is contradictory. Some say it's fine while others say it should be avoided. Apparently the ABS pipe we find at the BORG is designed for sewage and drainage application, not pressurized applications. Also, the ABS pipes are not UV protected and will become brittle over time. The pipes will be on the roof of my house so they'll see plenty of sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The big difference is that PVC is pressure rated and ABS is not normally (especially the "sewer" and "drain" stuff). Pick up a piece of ABS and a piece of Sched 40 ABS and you'll know why right away. Plus, at least in the US, PVC is UV rated, that is, it is not supposed to degrade in sunlight. Regular black ABS is not normally UV rated and will degrade (eventually) if left in the sun. ABS also gets quite brittle, especially when cold, you can shatter a piece of black ABS when it is freezing just by dropping it.

I don't think "normal" PVC glue works on ABS, but you can buy ABS glue and you can buy "combo" glues. I think the difference is that the specific glues act on the pipe chemically to "weld" it, whereas the combo glue acts just like a regular glue - it is a binder and doesn't chemcially weld the pieces together.

Here in New York state, Home Depot carries some Sched 40 PVC, but almost never has Sched 40 fittings. On the other hand, Lowe's carries lots and lots of Sched 40 PVC. Anything you are going to pressurize should be Sched 40 PVC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.