Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Pipe Price

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Pipe Price

I'm shopping around for ridgid 1 1/2" PVC pipe for my solar panel installation. I need about 90' of pipe.

Unfortunately, the big hardware store in my area (Home Depot, etc.) don't carry 1 1/2" or 2" PVC pipes, only ABS. The prices I got so far from the pool stores are around 25$ for a 10 feet, 1 1/2" pipe (around 225$ for my installation). That's almost 5 times more expensive than the equivalent ABS pipe. Is that the price I should expect to pay or should I look elsewhere?
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)

2. Back To Top    #2
    I buy my pipe from Home Depot. I can't imagine they don't have 1-1/2" Schedule 40 PVC. The local one has almost a full aisle of it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    I buy my pipe from Home Depot. I can't imagine they don't have 1-1/2" Schedule 40 PVC. The local one has almost a full aisle of it.
    I don't know if it has to do with different codes in Canada vs US, but at my local Home Depot (and other big hardware stores in my area) we have a full aisle of 1-1/2" ABS pipe, but only 3" and 4" PVC pipes.

I'm on the Quebec side though, I'll go and have a look on the Ontario side tonight. Maybe they carry different stuff.
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Didn't realize you were in Canada.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5
    I would check a plumbing supply store. Ask a local plumber.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

6. Back To Top    #6

Would ABS work as well as PVC and maybe even better because it is black so it would not reflect light like white would(water would be hotter??). Don't think UV would be a problem because here in the states they are used in just about every home built and are sticking out of the roof as vent pipes. I would ask a plumer.
    Harry
    Trilogy "Fiberglass" Pool,
    15x34 8900 gal.
    Pentair 1hp Super-Flo Pump
    Pentair CC100 Cartridge Filter, Pentair "Legend" Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

ABS is fine, actually probably better - it is typically more expensive than PVC not less. I would search for a plumbing supply store or some other retail outlet. I bought 2" PVC pipe the other day and think it was about $8 for a 10' length.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

8. Back To Top    #8

I do know that plumbing code allows use of ABS in Canada and that is why the BORG (big orange box - aka Home Depot) probably carrise so much of it in residential size. Don't see why you couldnt use it for what you want to do, it cuts and glues the same as sch. 40, but do inquire some more and let us know.
    12-15k gallons capacity, 18'x34'
    2 main drains 4 returns 1 vacuum line
    pentair intelliflo 4x160 pump 200 sq ft media filter full width (~7' wide) swimout at deep end
    pebble sheen white diamonds

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry
    Can ABS be glued with PVC glue? I didn't think so but I just always assumed that.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10
    I went to the Home Depot in Ontario last night and they don't carry the PVC pipes either. They have 3" and 4" "sewer" PVC types as well as the small diameter 1/2", 3/4" CPVC pipes used to replace copper pipes in houses.

I asked the guy why they only carry ABS and not PVC and he told me that the code in Canada doesn't allow for the use of PVC pipes in the house for sewer/drainage applications.

I did some research on the web on using ABS instead of PVC and most of the info I found is contradictory. Some say it's fine while others say it should be avoided. Apparently the ABS pipe we find at the BORG is designed for sewage and drainage application, not pressurized applications. Also, the ABS pipes are not UV protected and will become brittle over time. The pipes will be on the roof of my house so they'll see plenty of sun.

11. Back To Top    #11

The big difference is that PVC is pressure rated and ABS is not normally (especially the "sewer" and "drain" stuff). Pick up a piece of ABS and a piece of Sched 40 ABS and you'll know why right away. Plus, at least in the US, PVC is UV rated, that is, it is not supposed to degrade in sunlight. Regular black ABS is not normally UV rated and will degrade (eventually) if left in the sun. ABS also gets quite brittle, especially when cold, you can shatter a piece of black ABS when it is freezing just by dropping it.

I don't think "normal" PVC glue works on ABS, but you can buy ABS glue and you can buy "combo" glues. I think the difference is that the specific glues act on the pipe chemically to "weld" it, whereas the combo glue acts just like a regular glue - it is a binder and doesn't chemcially weld the pieces together.

Here in New York state, Home Depot carries some Sched 40 PVC, but almost never has Sched 40 fittings. On the other hand, Lowe's carries lots and lots of Sched 40 PVC. Anything you are going to pressurize should be Sched 40 PVC.
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.