Help my cloudy pool please

G

Had no problems about a month. We have well water. We filtered it out it was brown after shock. Used towels socks etc. turned almost clear faint green. Figured it was the iron color mixed against the blue vinyl liner. We didn't get to have a constant chlorine at start for about a week until I got the cya thing figured out. All was good. Then hot hot hot weather. Kept the chlorine high with the hth granules. Water evaporated. We added more. Shocked it. Added hth metal out and ph minus. Yes at the same time. And started to notice it got cloudy. And cloudy.... And cloudier. All levels are good. It just cloudy. Can't figure out if I had Algae? Chemical overload? I tried to vac and it made it worse. Clouds coming out of the return. Switched to bleach last night. Looks cloudier in spots. Been about a week now. Shocked it. Don't know what to do! Please help!

Welcome.

Post up any test results you have ... you really should have one of the test kits we recommend (see my signature) to accurately control your pool.

Was all the HTH stuff you were adding dichlor and trichlor? If so that may have made your CYA too high and thus your FC ineffective.

Read through Pool School (button in upper right of every page) to start gaining an understanding.

I think you likely need to go through the shock PROCESS (read about it in Pool School) to clear up your pool. Doing that process correctly requires a good test kit.

Ask any questions as they come up here, but you really should do some reading to start to gain an understanding of your pool's chemistry.

That last post was not very helpful of me. Let me ask this.

Given that your CYA is 50ppm and that according to the chart in Pool School your shock FC level is 20ppm ... how did you go about ensuring that your FC was maintained at 20ppm when you test kit obviously only goes up to 5ppm?

Further, why did you stop the shock PROCESS? Did you pass the 3 tests? Not sure how if you can not measure the CC, the water is cloudy, and you can not do the OCLT without a FAS-DPD chlorine test kit.

I refer you back to Pool School if any of this does not make sense.

Sorry still learning. Was using the strips... According to the other test kit I bought they were surprisingly accurate. So I only used them to test the chlorine. And I would get the highest purple I believe was 15-20. It was a whole bag of hth shock.

Test strips are horrendously inaccurate ... as are pool store tests unfortunately.

The walmart 6-way drop test is a decent start, but you really need the FAS-DPD chlorine test to REALLY know what is going on in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.