Looking for assistance on a couple questions...

UR2SLW

Jul 10, 2012
Hello Everyone,
I have been researching various pool related topics for several weeks now and after various Google searches I kept coming across discussions on TFP which have been an excellent source of information on various topics. So I decided to join and register.

I am writing now about a couple questions I have and would greatly appreciate any input.

1.) I am looking to replumb my pool lines with Jandy Never Lube 3 Way Valves. The above ground pipe is Sch.40 PVC. I see that the Jandy Valves are CPVC. In broadly researching various websites I have read conflicting views on whether it is acceptable/prudent to solvent weld CPVC and PVC together. Some say no issue just use the all purpose glue and others say to never do this. In seeing various picutres of installed Jandy Valves, it appears that the Sch.40 PVC has been glued directly into the Jandy Valve, no transition adaptors or threaded nipples. Would someone be able to confirm to me that it is okay to solvent weld Sch.40 PVC directly into a CPVC Jandy Valve and any other CPVC plumbing using Oatey purple primer and then Oatey all purpose glue?---or should some other primer and glue/solvent be used?---or should some other entirely different process be used?

2.) The pool I own was built in 1976 and I have located a leak underground and dug up the spot where the leak is. I have plotted out a course of action for repairing it, but I wanted to confirm with some experts on TFP that the underground 1.5 inch pipe used in the construction of the inground pool in 1976 is most likely black poly pipe (can't discern any markings and the pipe is not the same when it comes up through the concrete pad into the 8'x10' structure which houses the pool mechanicals) which it is my understanding cannot be solvent welded but must be repaired using a barbed fitting that is inserted into the pipe and clamped down on. In fact this is the exact repair previously done (years, maybe decades ago) and the pipe partially sheared just after where the barbed fitting was previous inserted into. For a temporary patch I used two clamps to hold a small piece of rubber over the crack and this stopped the pump from sucking in air. Thus I am just looking for confirmation that pipe is likely black poly given the year the pool was built and the prior repair I uncovered in reaching the leak.

Thanks for your time and attention to the above.
Patrick

1. All purpose Oatey is fine to weld CPVC and PVC....it's done all the time.

2. Sure sounds like black poly to me and, yes, those repairs have to be done with barbed connectors and hose clamps.

Thank you for the prompt reply!

I wanted to hear answers from a Pool Plumbing perspective. I believe where I read not to weld PVC and CPVC was in home plumbing forums where the CPVC was 3/4" or so in diameter, used to carry drinking water and the fittings would not match, etc. Thanks for the assistance!