Cartridge Filter Replacement - Get I get Duped??

Aug 1, 2010
Columbia, SC
I had a staRite S7M400 filter assembly for three years that seemed to be working fine. I had a control board and salt cell go out on my pool and when I called two different crews to give me quotes they both told me the filter was too samall for my 20,000 gal pool.

I opted to go with one installer and have hime replace the filter (which seemed to be fine except it was in need of new cartridges) and he chose a Jandy CV460. I see that it is only 60 SF larger. He also told me initially that my plumbing was horrible and had to be redone, however in the end all he did was add a check valve (due to my complaint that it was so hard to prime the pump) and a "backwash valve" which he says will let me vacuum and throw the debris in my yard instead of in the filter.

Did I yet again make a bad decision with this hole in my backyard?

I have tried several times to upload pictures with this post but for some reason it keeps locking up. I will try again.

Honestly without knowing how much you paid above the price of the filter it's hard to know if you got duped. If my filter happend to go bad, I'm not sure I'd even call the pool store. There's no wiring or moving parts so the install is simply a matter of going to HD or Lowes and buying an 8' length of 1.5" or 2" pvc pipe, a couple of elbows, and some pvc glue. Mabey $15 worth of stuff. Sit on the pc for an hour or 2 and shop for the best deal you can find on an upsized filter (Hayward, Jandy, Pentair, StaRite, etc). Dry fit all the pieces first and then glue everthing up. It might take 30-45min tops to install.

I wouldn't say you made too big a mistake. A bigger filter is always better and if he added a way to pump to waste, that's a good thing. As long as you got it at a price you're happy with then it was a good deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.