Intex SWG Run Time and adjusted levels as compared to BBB

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I've got the SWG and sand filter running now, but I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the adjustments I'm making now.

Still running on low CYA (~20-30ppm), but I'm out and will get some today. I can run low CYA around here effectively and also run at 40ppm using average 3ppm per day. I have happily added my 2-4ppm per day of bleach maintaining an overnight 7ppm to not fall below 3ppm the next day. This works fine.

75ppm CYA is going to be a lot for my cloud covered pool. I'm hesitant to go that high.

The SWG also seems to be no better than me adding bleach every day because it's got one run cycle available and it dumps chlorine in. OK... so I'm raising CYA and still only putting chlorine once a day.

To top that off, I'm supposed to run at 2ppm constantly? How does that work if I'm only adding chlorine once a day and then the pool either gets used or the sun shines... ???

I understand the process well, add chlorine... it gets used... replace it. But how can I only run the swg to produce enough to stay at 2ppm if it's getting used up when it's not constantly dribbling chlorine in?

Also, if someone can please explain in very complicated terms... exactly why and how does a SWG create such a huge shift in chlorine and demand/use theory?

If I can understand this, I'll know how to run this once a day system. Intex didn't make it very easy to run the pump and SWG multiple times a day rather than in one huge chunk.

Re: Intex SWG Run Time and adjusted levels as compared to BB

frogabog said:
75ppm CYA is going to be a lot for my cloud covered pool. I'm hesitant to go that high.
The higher CYA level will more than double the lifetime of your SWG cell.

The SWG adds chlorine slowly over hours, not at all "dumps chlorine in".

frogabog said:
To top that off, I'm supposed to run at 2ppm constantly? How does that work if I'm only adding chlorine once a day and then the pool either gets used or the sun shines... ???
It won't be 2 ppm constantly. 2 isn't even the right number. It should be a minimum of 3 ppm of chlorine, with occasionally higher levels depending on time of day and when you run your pump.

frogabog said:
Also, if someone can please explain in very complicated terms... exactly why and how does a SWG create such a huge shift in chlorine and demand/use theory?
I wouldn't call it extreme. The SWG lowers your minimum FC level by about 40%. No one knows exactly why that is true, though our best guess is it has something to do with the extreme chemistry inside the SWG cell.

I was hoping you would see that Jason. Thank You.

So, I guess I was just unclear that there's no constant chlorine level with the SWG and that just as I thought it should be, I'll still be doing a minimum and maximum every day like I do with bleach. Got it. I'm good now. It makes sense.

Pool calculator said 2ppm, but I think that was based on my low CYA level entered in the current column. It probably is 3ppm if I raise that to 75ppm CYA.

For me, it wasn't exactly clear that the SWG number in pool calculator is a special minimum, even though it matches the minimum from the other field. I've stared at that SWG number many times in the pool calculator read it as a "SWG pool only needs 2ppm", duh.

So the magic number for CYA is ~75ppm regardless of location, correct? I don't want to overdo it, but I do want to make sure I'm utilizing the unit effectively.

frogabog said:
I've got the SWG and sand filter running now, but I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the adjustments I'm making now.
Finally :p

frogabog said:
So the magic number for CYA is ~75ppm regardless of location, correct? I don't want to overdo it, but I do want to make sure I'm utilizing the unit effectively.
With your typically cloudy conditions, lower temperatures, etc. you could experiment by starting at 60 ppm and work up from there. Snce 1 hour is the minimum run time the intex can be set for (and increments are in hours as well), you may need to loose a little to the "sun" (it is a bright orange ball in the sky)...how much chlorine on average have you had to manual add per day (prior to the swg)?

frogabog said:
The SWG also seems to be no better than me adding bleach every day because it's got one run cycle available and it dumps chlorine in. OK... so I'm raising CYA and still only putting chlorine once a day.
It may be with your small size pool that the only real advantage it gives you is not having to lug jugs and being able to run at a slightly lower FC level. With larger pools (such as mine...though mine is not large compared to most), I am running right now at 7 hours of on time during the heat of the day, so my FC level really never gets very high, but it also never gets below my minimum of 3 ppm (70 ppm cya). So much less bolus effect then when I use LC.

frogabog said:
Since you probably have a short run time, then you will have to overshoot so that the next day when the swg is started, you are still above the swg FC (for your cya).

frogabog said:
If I can understand this, I'll know how to run this once a day system. Intex didn't make it very easy to run the pump and SWG multiple times a day rather than in one huge chunk.
If you put a timer on the swg that can set two different times of the day, then the swg will come up and start running the numbers of hours is was last set at...the intex does not have an absolute clock, it must use incremental time. The advantage this might give you is if you need to run really short run times...or maybe a run time of 1.5 hours, the timer can shut your off.

I'm not sure how the 2 in one Intex setup works but I do have an Intex SWG. It took me awhile to find my sweet spot but I feel I am finally there. In my case with maybe 6 to 8 hours of sun, I run the SWG for 4 hours while the sun is on my 18'x33' pool. Seeing I don't have all day sun and usually leave my pool covered (I like the water temp to stay above 80), I easily get 5 to 8 ppm measured at any time of day with about 60 CYA. I think that little unit was the best money I've spent on the pool.

OMG Linen... you have NO IDEA... bite my tongue, cover my mouth, whatever is needed to simply have the unit not be in lockdown waiting for a roof (which it doesn't have... ??!), available and started up with what's available. Granted, it was like... only three weeks ago that it was too cold for days on end to even run the SWG anyway. Been doing this for 27 years now... complaining never gets me anywhere. Waiting often ends up confirming my way works better anyway.

And thanks, I think I'm starting to understand better. The SWG is simply a replacement me, and the minimum is lower. Got it. I typically put 4ppm in every night, running at 35ppm CYA. Cloudy days with no swimmers, I skip dosing and add 5 ppm on the second day.

So, I ran it yesterday for 4 hours starting at 4pm. Started at around 5-6ppm (OTO), and after dark was at 7.5ppm.
Shut the pump off this morning, no one swam. It wasn't very sunny till the afternoon. I tested when it started beeping at 4 today, it was at 6ppm. Pump is on now, and I set it for 2 hours today but it sounds like I'll need 4 hours to get ~4ppm. Right now I'm trying to get closer to 6 than 7 or 8ppm I was at yesterday without not running the SWG at all today. Kids are swimming now, pool in shade from the house. I shall monitor...

CYA is at 40ppm right now. I'll put 20ppm in tonight, but it's not HTH brand so I don't know how well it'll dissolve. My borates are low too, the pool looks dull in reflections on the trees. Tonight I'll do a borax and acid dosing as well.

Sounds like y'all run the pump during the sun/day/swim time. Ideally I'd like to run it in the early morning, and for a short while after the swimming stops but maybe I'll try a daytime long run tomorrow. I think that timer idea is something to look into as well. And I'll have my dad install it... heh.

frogabog said:
Sounds like y'all run the pump during the sun/day/swim time. Ideally I'd like to run it in the early morning, and for a short while after the swimming stops but maybe I'll try a daytime long run tomorrow. I think that timer idea is something to look into as well. And I'll have my dad install it... heh.

Yup, I have a timer in my basement for my pump . If we swim after it shuts off we turn it on so it cleans while the swimmers are churning up the water. It's something else I can kinda forget about with the timer. My SWG is on a circuit that is always on. Does the pump/SWG setup all run on 1 cord?

Right now, no. But I'm begging Daddy to come over and install two GFCI's on the house. He argued that he already put 220 in the garage and plenty of outdoor outlets on the house 20 years ago but I need them in different spots now. We text it all... he never answered the last time (that means ok... just let me know when).

I'll have to buy a timer too. Something else I've been putting off for 20 years deferring to just unplug them every day. I have a separate 20 amp circuit set up just for Christmas lights waiting for said timer. A circuit I'll never use both pool and lights on at the same time, so I'll have to convince him to run the wire from the front of the house to the back for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.