Hayward s240 Control Valve leaking

Martha_D

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2012
Putnam, NY
I have a leak coming from the multi-valve on my filter. I really am clueless as to what to do. Should I simply replace the whole thing? I saw that I can purchase one for $115 online. Is this something I can do on my own? I would consider myself smart enough to figure some things out if they are simple enough. Should I call a plumber? Any/all advice is appreciated.

thanks all

I'm a newb but I'll chime in as I just replaced my multiport. Is it leaking from the pipe joint or from where the multiport meets the filter?

There's an o-ring that seats the multiport and you can lube that up good and make sure it gets a good seal. Also check how tight the ring collar is that attaches the multiport to the filter. That o-ring and the ring collar need to be in good shape and screwed in firm - not super torqued, but firm enough to get a good seal. If it's from from the input/output ports then that's a re-do of doping and taping the threads.

Replacing a multiport isn't too big a deal as long as you're familiar with working with PVC and you have unions to remove it. Mine was permanently plumbed so I had to cut and install unions. Also dope and tape the nipples to the m-port itself.

I have tried to see where it is leaking from and it seems to be coming from underneath the area I pointed to with the arrow. Im so hesitant to work on it because its the middle of the season, and I dont want to get algae if it is left not working. I do have next week off and may brave trying to tackle it. I was thinking about replacing the spider gasket and seeing if that works. They are $7. Not a big loss if that doesnt work.

thank you for your help!

Then maybe get a pro to look at it. I suspect you simply have your o-ring that needs lubed and the collar ring tightened. This all depends on if you can remove the m-port or not to get the m-port off and re-lube/reseat the o-ring. Mine was permanently plumbed so I couldn't remove it without cutting and installing unions - unions allow me to disconnect the PVC pipes from each other and lift off the m-port. Suction side unions are normally a bad idea, but you're all on the pressure side at your multiport.

There comes a point where if you're not comfortable with it, you call a pro. Not joe shmoe pool store, but somebody who installs pools and plumbing. What could take you all weekend, they can do in an hour or two as well as a warranty/guarantee.

Keep in mind I'm a newbie, but I've learned TONS from having to do repairs on the pool plumbing from a house I bought last year with the pool

-edit-
Age of multi-port and filter? Watching your pressure gauge? o-rings do need to be replaced or lubed from time to time (many years).

Yea I am pretty sure they are on there permanently and some plumbing will have to take place. I am thinking that I will call a pro. Trouble is I have not been able to find one. I guess I will have to call the dreaded pool store. Ive had a bad experience with a pool guy who was ripping me off horribly last year.

There is a hissing sound as well. ugh! stress!! :)

thanks for the help spidey

Try commercial pool installers, they may want the business. You need a way to remove that multiport if only for the simple fact of checking out the condition of your sand (which you'll only have to do every couple of years). You're looking at maybe 300 bucks for them to come out and replace the multiport and fix the plumbing, even less to just do the plumbing to be able to remove it. It's really a 1-2 hour job for a pro.

Martha_D said:
Yea, I was searching angies list for pool repair people, and no one seems to be in the area.

Google? Yellow pages? I don't know how rural your area is, but somebody will do the job for the right price. The cutting and plumbing necessary to remove the m-port isn't terribly difficult, but only if you've worked with PVC before and have all the correct parts/tools/chemicals and have a plan of what you're doing. If you're not comfortable basically cutting apart all your plumbing and re-doing it then find somebody that will.

Others can chime in on if a regular plumber can do this kind of work or not.

But without being there I can't really determine what is causing your leak, a picture of your m-port leaking would help. Use flash to really light it up or macro mode.

-edit-
How bad is the leak? Just a little tiny trickle of water? Or something more serious?
I still don't see how old the m-port/plumbing is or what your pressure is vs. normal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good deal. My guess would be the o-ring needs some lube/loving and/or tightening of the ring collar. But you need to be able to pull the m-port off to lube/check. If somebody does come out and that's it, make sure they do the plumbing (cut and install unions) so you can remove the m-port if needed. Why they permanently plumb those things is beyond me. How else can you inspect or replace your sand?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.