Water goes from cloudy to clear and back again

May 17, 2012
Central Georgia
I noticed yesterday that during the day my water seems a bit cloudy, like I can just barely make out the main drain, but at night and early in the morning it is crystal clear. Is the temp affecting the clarity? We are in central Georgia, and it's at least 95 during the day (including the weekend two weeks ago where we hit 110 on my back deck).

And although I have a TF-100 kit, I haven't done all the tests yet on the water (my bad :whip: ) but I did test the clorine and PH (clorine is 3 and the ph is 7.4).

I was just wondering why it clouds up and clears up on its own?

Pointyhead:

A couple of questions: When do you run your filter? What's the typical bather load during the day?

Also, we really need to know the CYA level before we can determine if a chlorine level (FC) of 3 is adequate. If your CYA is over 40, it probably isn't. Would also help to know the individual FC and CC parameters that make up total chlorine.

Water temperature shouldn't vary by more than a degree or so from day to night at this time of year, especially with an in-ground pool (that's the situation with mine anyway). So, I doubt that has anything to do with the situation you are experiencing.

I shut the pump off from 11 pm to 6 am. The bather load is light, just 5 every other day or so, for about an hour each time.

I am planning on devoting this evening to the pool. I've got to vacuum it again, sweep the decking, and do a full test with the kit. Unless something comes up, like my gas grill catching of fire like it did yesterday, I will have the numbers for you tomorrow.

Well, after three days of storms, family visits, more unpacking, and church activities, I finally made the time to test my water. Here are the numbers.

FC=4
PH-7.2
CC=0
TA= somewhere between 70-100
CH=100
CYA=More than 20, but less than 30. Got to get used to the test, but I'd range it around 22 or 23.

I'll admit there's a learning curve to the tests, but I think things are within parameters.

Your valuable advise is welcomed.

Also, I was in a panic looking for the R-001, R-002, and R-003, until I realized it was for a different test kit. Rookie mistake!

Your FC averaging between 3 and 4 is fine for a CYA level in the 20's, so your pool is well chlorinated. Your other numbers look good as well.

Since you shut the pump off from 11 pm to 6 am and your water appears clearest in the morning, it seems like debris is settling to the bottom when the pump is off, thereby making the water appear clearer. Since it sounds like you have already vacuumed (was going to be my first suggestion), then I would try adding either DE or cellulose fiber to your sand filter as a filtering aid. BTW, Fiber Clear and ZeoFiber are two brand names of cellulose fiber. Here is an article describing how to add DE to a sand filter: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter. If using cellulose fiber, the process is the same - just follow the dosing instructions on the package. With either product, keep an eye on your filter pressure and backwash as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.