Excessive scale build up on the metal plates...help!!!

cainam

Jul 10, 2012
I have an intex salt system. I am having to clean the metal plates every other day or the system doesn't produce chlorine at an effective rate. Any ideas on what is causing the plates to build scale so quickly and/or how I might remedy this issue?

Current water readings:
FC: 0.2 ppm
pH: 7.5
Calcium Hardness: 220 ppm
CYA: 60 ppm
Copper: 0.3 ppm
Iron: 0.23 ppm
Nitrate: 13 ppm
Salt: 3400 ppm

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to tfp, cainam :wave:

Nothing in your test results are suggesting you would have a scaling issue.

How/where did you get those test numbers? If from a pool store or strips, that could be part of the issue, since strips are often outright misleading and pool stores are notoriously inconsistent.

The numbers came from two pool stores. I had the water checked at two different stores and they matched.

Are there any other types of metals or minerals that were not on the check list that might cause the scale to form so rapidly?

I added clorox and the TC is now at 2.1 ppm to help sustain the pool.

Been doing some research and found a product called Scale Free by Natural Chemistry. Has anyone had any experience with this product? Thought I might give it a try, but I couldn't find any reviews.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here's the pics of the build up on the plates in the salt chlorinator.

[attachment=1:sx9ioo0d]salt generator.jpg[/attachment:sx9ioo0d]

[attachment=0:sx9ioo0d]salt generatora.jpg[/attachment:sx9ioo0d]

Attachments

• salt generator.jpg
    salt generator.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 203
  • salt generatora.jpg
    salt generatora.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 199
You have a lot of build up in there. I would soak them for a another couple hours in vinegar and attempt to slosh the vinegar around in there a few times.

If that doesn't work, then try 4 parts water, 1 part Muriatic acid. Soak for a few minutes. You should see some action on the calcium deposits.

What is your TA level?

How old are the test results above? What were the actual values form both stores?

The build up on your plates is suggestive of high CH, TA and ph. The value you posted above for CH is not too high so calcium buildup shouldn't be a problem unless your TA and ph are high.

Another possibility is that your readings at the pool stores are inaccurate (very common problem). I would suggest you get your own appropriate test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison I like the TF-100, best bang for buck.

Are the Intex systems self-cleaning (I've never worked with one)?

If they are you may have "one side out", meaning the cell is only conducting in one direction.

For what it's worth, the test results you've posted are in no way indicative of scaling water conditions.

TA level was at 65 from both stores that tested the water on July 9th. I have not had the water tested by a store since. The CH was 220 at one store and 210 at the other I chose to post the higher number.

The ph is still showing 7.5

cainam said:
The intex system is suppose to be a self cleaning system. The model I have is a CS8110. It always builds scale on the left plate as shown in the pictures.

That's what I thought, based on your pix. I think it's likely that the system is only working in one direction, that is, the self cleaning feature is defective. Whether it's the cell, or the controller, I have no clue.

Wish I could be of more help. :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.