Green Algae

iulia

Jul 9, 2012
Hello,

My name is Iulia. I owe this kidney pool for a bit over two years now. I remodeled the swimming pool last year (major remodeling due to cracks) with pebble tec. Very happy with the results. Last few weeks and I no time to look take care of my swimming pool and the green algae took over it. Since Friday trying my best to bring the swimming pool in a good condition.
Steps:
Friday evening:
Added sock waited 4 hours with the filter cleaned running, added algecide plus stopped the filter for the night so the algae
Saturday morning socked the water again cleaned the filter & started the filter
Sunday filter working all day - cleaned the filter
Monday - filter cleaned & run all day
Afternoon - socked water again, waited one hour tested water at local store .. they recommended sock again wait on hour add the algicide
and after one more hour socked again. did so with to bags of socking.

I am also socked what else do i need to do? what i am doing wrong... no results.... the filters looks are working just fain...
Filter cleaned several times. I have a robot which is cleaning the swimming pool around 6 hours now daily since Friday. the bag of the robot when i cleaned was like no green on it. Comparing with the first time i started on Friday when was full of debris is way better. The water remains very very green. I have my own tests and i test the water at home. This evening i went to a local store and i had the water test by them as well. Tests:

FAC: 4
TAC: 4
CYA: 70
TA: 120
PH: 7.6
Copper: 0
Iron: 0
TDS 500

water green and very cloudy.

Pool - one year and a half old
shape - kidney
size: average length 19
average with 14.
average deep : 5

also a question for the free shape volume calculation. I was reading online that you need to use:
Average length * average with * average deep * 7.5
local store said:
average length * average with * average deep * 5.9 everything / 2 .... lol to many information which one is correct?

when i started i could see the bottom of the swimming pool .. no i can barely see the robot in the swimming pool.

p :hammer:

What is "socked"?

Start here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/

Read Getting Started and Pool Chemistry, paying close attention to tests.

You must stop listening to the pool store and buy your own test kit per the article in Pool School.

Next: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Shock is a process not a product, a verb not a noun.

Experts will be along to help but since I'm on West Coast figured I'd jump in and point you in the right direction. I have used BBB for three years per this forum. I had no prior pool experience and I've only had a couple minor bouts with algae on BBB, all due to kids not paying attention for a few days when I was away or working extremely long days. One time I had to shock for a couple days and while tedious to check the pool hourly, the pool was clear in a weekend with due diligence.

Be patient and post as you go. Read the plethora of posts here from others who came to this forum due to a green pool. There was a post a couple weeks ago from someone who almost gave up partly because the process can be long if your pool is really green and partly due to still listening to pool store. In the end BBB prevailed. When I find the post, I'll provide the link.

thank you for your information. I have three different tests in my house. One for PH and chlorine, one 5 in one which measures high level of chlorine and the other one is 5 in one. Should i buy another one? Thank you for looking for the link of the older post.

ohh. one more step to my pool. Again cleaned the filter and the robot bag late this evening. The bag of the robot was yellow this time.. surprise surprise. i added two more bags of sock to the swimming pool figuring out after reading that is ok to add more sock to the pool if algae is present. I will hate to drain my pool but if I will have no results by Thursday, i think this should be my next step.

what are you putting in the sock? For BBB, I think stabilizer (CYA) is the only chemical that uses a sock to dissolve.

I just found the post I was referring to: http://www.troublefreepool.com/cloudy-pool-t44192.html

It's 8 pages so if you don't want to slog through, read the first couple pages and jump to page 7 where the original posters provides before and after picks when he's closed to solving the problem.

You have to read "How to Shock Your Pool" in Pool School: How To. Before you shock, you have to have a good test kit also per Pool School. The key is taking control yourself rather than trusting the pool store that at best is ignorant and at worst just trying to sell you stuff.

By the way, for 7,500-8,000 gallon above ground pool, my chemical costs are about $15 - $20 per month (liquid chlorine from Lowes or Home Depot). A twin pack of Muriatic Acid lasts me 4-5 months.

bag of "shock" = 1 LB of "Shock Extra Blue 6 in 1 " purchased from Home Depot. I found this website only today after searching online for information. I had the sock in the house and i figure out i can use it until i will finish the stock i have and after switch to liquid chlorine. Should i stop using it? I will read the post you sent me. Thank you :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support