Copper from new Jandy Heater?

May 21, 2012
Hi,
I think i have copper staining in my pool. I have a 2 year old Jandy Legacy heater noted to have a "copper heat exchanger." I keep all the chemistry within parameters of this site, other than winter. What are the odds that a new pool heater leaches copper? Thanks

Steve

The heater will be fine as long as the PH never went below 7.0. If you have been consistent about managing the PH, the heater should be fine. If the PH was really low you would presumably know about it.

What do the stains look like?

Thank you.

The stains are brownish, don't respond to vitamin c tablet. I bought the jacks stain kit---it responded to the 2nd (copper and scale). Dirty/clay soaked water can under heavy rains get into the skimmer basket---and by gravity get into the pool when the motor is off. Could there be copper or something similar in the clay soil?

I've been fighting ph rises given that the diamondbrite finish was new last year.

What if for some reason the ph went really low ---as long as it is now normal, will the leaching at least stop?

Thanks again for any comments and help.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.