What can I do to safely put my pool on hold?

Jul 4, 2012
I am a female that lives alone and have been fighting to keep my beloved pool for a year. I've had serious financial problems since my husband left and can no longer afford the chemicals, water (I have a leak & it's summer here in Texas), & electric costs so I have to put it "on hold" until I can get a roommate or a second job. I can't sell my home because I'm in bankruptcy. I want to keep my pool &, from what I've read on the internet, it's a big mistake to drain it & leave it empty. What can I do to safely put my pool on hold?

Welcome to TFP!

You can't put it on hold, per se. If you aren't able to run a pump, add chemicals, or otherwise maintain it, you really cannot do anything other than let it go green. Keeping water in it is better for the pool than not since the weight of the water will keep the pool from shifting too much from soil expansion.

Welcome to TFP!

You can winterize the pool normally, and leave it for several years. It will require some attention even winterized. If you use a solid cover it will need to be kept pumped off, if you use a mesh cover the pool will need the water level adjusted occasionally. And you want to make sure the cover doesn't fall all the way into the pool, which tends to happen if the pool is completely ignored. You will also want to check occasionally that the pool isn't draining because of a leak.

Thank you so much for both your replies. I like the one about winterizing it better because I don't want a huge mosquito problem & I would rather winterize it because at least it wouldn't be as bad getting it up & going again. What is the least expensive cover I could get? I have a lagoon style pool that is 32' long & 20' wide at its widest. Also, do I have to get it in good shape before I do this because it's been sitting in the 98 degree sun for two days without adequate chemicals or any filtering & it's getting a little green?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.